HOOKLINKS

GertR

Reaction score
Afternoon Guys.

Just a couple of questions please.

Hoolkinks for bolt off and inline setups how long would you fish the hooklinks..

Is there a hard and fast rule or does it vary from lake to lake?

For bolt off how heavy should your weight be. I heard they say i must not go under 4 0z leads..

For plumbing from a canoe how heavy would your weight be?

Please if you could give me measurements in centimeters.

Then on your first trip to a water would you fish it MOUSE TRAP way the first night and then how much feed would you start introdicing. How would you do this.
I will be fishing mainly with maize and Tigernuts.

Then how many maize ot tigernits would you put on the hair for targeting big fish but at least catch something even if it is just a 30 pounder.?

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Hi Gert

Ok Ill give this lot a try, just to start off a healthy debate. This is what I would do:

Hooklinks for bolt rigs I would start at no more than 30cm (12") and then if I was missing pick ups would reduce the length by half that at least.

For a bolt rig to be effective it really should be no lighter than 150 gms (3oz) and an inline lead (square) will give better results.

First trip to a water I would bait only a couple of handfuls of tigers or maize and I would spread them out a bit (not in a pile) this will encourage the fish to keep swimming and searching between single nuts thereby causing the hooklink to straighten out and the hook to take hold sooner. The longer the link the further the fish has to travel before it registers.

I would look to introduce at least a kilo (2lbs) of maize or tigers as you leave.

As the fish is used to picking up single nuts or maize then I would just put one on the hair.

There are far better anglers than me on FM and im sure they will pick up on this thread and discuss the pros and cons. But if nothing else at least its a starting point for you to consider.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
no i mean 2 lbs of Tigers, you got to remember that Gert is not in UK and the price of tigers might be cheaper, but yeah 2 lbs of maize and a few tigers sounds awfully english doesnt it lol.

so the amount of tigers aside does the other info sound pretty reasonable ?

C

Cakey

apart from liking 8" hooklengths and Im now on 1/2 oz leads yeah

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
if this is european fishing in discussion then itsALL different.......wouldnt know where to start over there/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
theres still gonna be resistance against the lead, its just that there is less weight making the "bolt" effect less than if you used a bigger lead...........pretty simple stuff/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Theres not really enough info on the water and pressure the fish already see to give good advice.

With regards to the weight attach a small lead on the end of a rig and let it run over your finger if you feel it prick then so would the fish and bolt. Unless of coarse its a wise old bugger that as soon as it feels the weight stops dead and blows the bait and hook out before it penatrates.

Just my view though. As with everything in angling there are no hard and fast rules.

W

will spencer

yes there will always be some resistance even if it's a lighter weight.the heavier the weight the less distance the fish have to travel to set the hook-increasing the bolt effect.the lighter the weight the further the fish can move to set the hook-slightly decreasing the bolt effect.the longer the the hooklink the further the fish will have to travel-decreasing the effeciveness of the bolt rig.the shorter the hooklink the less the fish have to travel to set the hook-increasing the bolt effect.the shorter the hooklink the fish may feel the weight earlier and drop the bait.the longer the hooklink the fish can move further before setting the hook increasing the fishes confidence but could give chance for the fish to sample the bait and eject it.

W

will spencer

what is mouse trap way?

throw a six crank the handle and bounce off the springboard?

GertR

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies really some interesting stuff here.

WILL, Mouse trap way just means that you put a little free offerings out with your hookbait say 500gram. Obviously Location is very important then here..

Then Tigernuts is it expensive in the UK. Sounds like it is, here it is hells bells expensive.

Anyway this water i am referring too are not pressured at all and stil a very wild water.

Think i will start off just short of 30cm hooklinks and then work from there.

GertR

Reaction score
We have 2 very different ways of catching fish here and the former way i was fishing i used very short hooklinks.

So to get use too longer hooklinks on the bolt setup i find a bit difficult but sure if i have a few fish on it the confidence will start coming.

GertR

Reaction score
Trev Said

Hooklinks for bolt rigs I would start at no more than 30cm (12") and then if I was missing pick ups would reduce the length by half that at least.

Thanks Trev this sounds sensible will let you know how it went going out tomorrow morning until Monday.