Temperature & Pressure

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
This may have been talked about before.

It seem's now that many artical's written have water temperature and Airpreesure in them. There are those who like to use this method, and those that don't.

I don't, and never have. My 3 son's are going for a weekend together, and for some reason they are worried about the two element's. My eldist son Tom, has not caught a thing in his last 6 trip's, he seem's to be caught up on the fact that everything has to be right to catch.

I have said to him, before you bothered with this you were catching with no problem's, his fish list is good, carp to 38lb, Bream 13lb 6ozs, Barbel 13lb 9ozs, Perch 3lb 9 ozs, Grayling 2lb 5ozs, tench 9lb 2ozs, Roach 1lb 14ozs, Rudd 2lb 6ozs, Chub 7lb 1oz, Pike 24lb and dace 15ozs.

Ialso toldhim that there is one rule for all Angler's, If you not out fishing you won't catch fish. So are we taking thing's a bit to far? what has happened to going fishing and out witting them, no matter what the weather, temperature etc etc.

Do you think there is a perfect,water temperature and Air pressure, or are you like me, and you fish no matter what.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I'm with you on this Ray. Though I do believe that air pressure and temp do play a part in fish activity, more so the temp.

Ifpeople get too technical then they will hardley ever get out. There is no certainty in fishing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My son Tom is a very good Angler, he put's in the prep work and the time when he can.

I dont want him to waste to much time on this, as my other son's might start to go down the same road, and never get out as Wobbly has said. With any luck a couple more blank's and he might see the light.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I've not bothered too much about temteratures and certainly not air pressure.

However, I have been thinking lately about getting a pocket barometer, one with a digital read out and not pictures of clouds , sun, and rain. Just because I like shiny fiddly things, although with these there is nothing to fiddle with. By the way, they recomend somewhere around 1000 mb is good. Also, a slowly dropping air pressure would be better than a fast rising one.

Your son has a brilliant record there Ray, don't let anything spoil it for him.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thank's Baz,

I like to think I have taught the boy's as best I could, what they have caught has been down to them, I don't do anything for them on the bankside, the odd tip thats it, the other two boy's have good fish list's also.

Anyway with the 3 of them being 16, 18 and 20 years old, they have a good idea of what to do, but are alway's ready to listern, plus if i went on they would kick the Sh*t out of me, just joking.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

My son begged me to let him go night fishing. I always tryed to put him off, but it never stopped him from pestering me. So to teach him a lesson, I chose the filthiest night to take him. It was bouncing down and blowing a hoolie.

He had a brilliant catch that night, better than I had done all year. I couldn't win an ar$e kicking contest against a one legged man if I tried.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

That's the problem lads. If you tell your kids that something doesn't work and it's no good, they then make it there lifes ambition to prove you wrong.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Jesus, you can add another variable with moon phases. If you waited for the right moon phase, temperature and air pressure then you wouldn't get out much. As the others have said if you aren't out then you can't catch.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Slimey goes hairy and howls at the moon /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The weather doesn't bother me, I always blank lately whatever! Maybe I'm becoming Steve Spiller? /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Full moons a no no for me/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif</blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Grumpy Git wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Slimey goes hairy and howls at the moon /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The weather doesn't bother me, I always blank lately whatever! Maybe I'm becoming Steve Spiller? /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif </blockquote>

Slime,

The full moon doesn't bother me, I used to be a werewolf, But I am alright NOooooooowwwwww. sorry old I know.

Grumpy,

Becoming Steve Spiller, I know a very good Doctor/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Oy ya gets!

I am still here you know!

And I haven't been BLANKING lately /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

You've either got it or you aint /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Wth ref to this thread, just tell em to stuff it Ray and get on the bank. Like I said, you've either got or you aint /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
We all like the conditions justright, (or right in our minds), but if your going fishing you go.

I hate full moons, but remember years ago having my best bream catch ever on a full moon, sat out all night in the water and covered in frost, times like that you forget the cold

The bad one

Reaction score
I just go fishing as and when I can regardless of the conditions. I've caught when the above says I shouldn't and blanked when they say I should have caught.

However, on stillwaters I doalways fancy my chancesin strong windy conditions winter or summer. The fact that these conditions coincide with low pressure is in my view purely coincidental to the effects of feeding patterns of fish. What is important is the wind because that saturates the water with oxygen. Oxygen saturation acts as a feeding stimuli on the fish.

Easily testable this one if you keep coarse fish in a tank. Increase the rate of air flow into the tank (unseen by the fish) and within 15 minutes the fish go from a torpid doing nothing state, to an activegrubbing about feedingstate. Strong winds act in the same way.

They also stir the water up and mix it. So any warmer water that's on the surface gets mixed with the colder water beneath, which in turn raises the temperature slightly.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I, like most anglers, go fishing when I feel like it or when work or the missus (in some cases) allow and apart from being put off by extremes of temperature or flooding regardless of 'conditions'. Every angler has caught fish in 'proper' conditions and every angler has caught fish when conditions are totally against them but I personally don't know of any angler who only fishes when conditions are perfect - they wouldn't fish very often would they?

We maximise our chances whatever the weather and conditions and in general accept them as part of the appeal of fishing, you catch, worth the effort, you don't catch, still worth the effort. When the catching of a fish is more important than the act of fishing it means you aren't enjoying your fishing.