Crackdown on illegal angling

Reaction score
This is in my neck of the woods Ian, all the cases appear to have been on a commercial or private fishery, is it not time, the owners of fisheries started to ask to see rod licences produced by prospective anglers before selling a day ticket allowing themto fish? or is this another sign of the recession we are in? anglers not bothering to purchase a rod licence (£25)and fishery owners not wanting to turn away customers? (Day tickets range from £3 upward).

NIGE K

Reaction score
it would be nice if the commercial owners asked to see licences but itsmoney isnt it they are not responsible if people dont have a licence thats up to the individual fishermansconscience.

Quiver man

Reaction score
If I go to comet and buy a new telly, or digibox for that matter, I have to, by law give my details to them. Comet then have to send them to the TV Licensing chaps and if they dont theycan get fined approx £5000 for each set of details they fail to give. I really dont understand why commercials, or any water for that matter, dont ask for it.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Boring Bob Bradford wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>This is in my neck of the woods Ian, all the cases appear to have been on a commercial or private fishery, is it not time, the owners of fisheries started to ask to see rod licences produced by prospective anglers before selling a day ticket allowing themto fish? or is this another sign of the recession we are in? anglers not bothering to purchase a rod licence (£25)and fishery owners not wanting to turn away customers? (Day tickets range from £3 upward).</blockquote>

My sentiments exactly Bob. Last year around march there was loads of hype about anglers not buying rod licences, I asked why fishery owners and tackle shop owners didnt ask to see a licence before they sold tickets. I think youve answerd our question already.

Lake owners need the anglers to turn up and pay for a ticket, its not their job to enforce licence ownership. Shop owners sell tackle and bait to anyone who walks through their doors for the same reason they need the money.

I have only ever been asked by a fishery owner once to show my rod licence details and that was before I joined the syndicate and had to produce two photos as well for identification.

Quiver man

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>NIGE K wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>because they dont have to.</blockquote>

Well, while ever thats the case, me and you and every other license payer will be either paying the EA more than we should, or we are getting a lesser service than we should. In fact wtf am I forking out for it, when a fairly sizable minority dont buy, or dont have enough licences?? I fish commercials, often away from the car park orentrance, and couldbe packed away in two shakes if, and thats a big bloody if, the EA come to town.

So why am I paying ? Because I'm a mug.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
No Quiver man your paying because your a law abiding citizen. Just because other people dont buy them doesnt mean that you dont have to. two wrongs dont make a right.

stikflote

Reaction score
quiver man,
do you want to enjoy your fishing with out having a look round every few minutes wondering weather the E A will come round ,i know what id rather do

Quiver man

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>stikflote wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>quiver man, do you want to enjoy your fishing with out having a look round every few minutes wondering weather the E A will come round ,i know what id rather do</blockquote>

As I am now the proud owner of a short, eastern european impoverished hair cut (DO NOT ASK !) I could just say "mee no speek eegleessh" and pull out a BBQ, without any fear of prosicution.

And yes, I have had a crap week !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Would you turn away a dayticket Angler???? time's hard or not, licence or not

I am for club's etc asking member's to show a Licence befor they pay their sub's, but in these hard time's many club's need member's to survive, so what do you do?.

Quiver man

Reaction score
Do you think Currys, or more importantly small independent electrical retailers (not that there are many of those !) want to do the hard work for the TV licensing chaps ? No they do it to aviod a big-ass fine. Do you think the PO want to make sure everyone who buys a tax disc has valid insurance ? No - they could just sell the tax disk and help keep the wolf from the door - and avoid a big-ass fine. Do you think I want to caluculate and send of the VAT every quarter and act as the government (of what ever party) tax collector ? NO !!!

Its another fine example of the angling trade thinking, like dealing with theft and litter, the perils of the "interweb" taking sales of them whilst they smoke and drink coffee at the counter, its someone elses problem because they dont want to do it.

Make 'em do it I say.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

A very encouraging EA Newsletter, for a change.

I ask for a photo copy of the EA rod license with every new member application. Doesn't cause any problem

paul buckley

Reaction score
sorry to rubbish this thread but...ive bought licenses for years,i've never beenasked for any of them, the country is that vast with miles of rural waterways ponds, lakes & riversthe EAcan't man it up to make it pay....if for instancethey had as many parking attendants, on them medaling scootersasEA officials they might stand a half achance of monitoring the lawbreakers.

Tovisit every large commercial fishery to local farmers pond would take a life time, they'd never blanket the country every day to catch everyone, and i bet the majority who dont buy licences are kids or teenagers who would get a slap on the hand and a mention in the angling times....the waters i've fished have never seen an ea official on themso wheres my money been spent...its as contraversial asthe good old ''road tax''...i pay it every year but my car is still beingbattered potholes orby roads generallyin a state of dis-repair...this reaches my conclusion, if people don't see anything good happening with their money why pay it...? if the risk of being caught is that low why pay it...? thats why people dont...

i'm not saying i dont buy rodlicenses anymore as i've not fished for about 3 years but it does bear the question....is it money for nothing....?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

....is it money for nothing....? NO!

In the EA's defence the vast majority of its staff work $loody hard. AND the Rod License 'TAX' is one of the very few taxes we pay that is actually spent on what it is intended for. I'm very happy the EA doesn't spend its dwindling resources on checking anglers for rod licenses.

B

Bill Cox

Why should other people police our sport? We (my club) have incorperated an idea sent to me by Baz where everyone who fishes our waters has to prove they have a license. The club book has a space in the back that has to be filled in with the EA license no. The bailiff will ask to see the book as he does his rounds and will on the first time he sees it countersign the book to say he has checked the number in the bookagainst the actual license. If it does not tally or he has not got the license on him to prove it he is kicked off and his book is written up. If he does it again he would be pulled before the committee and likely kicked out of the club. We keep the money and ensure we only have licensed anglers on our waters. How hard is that??

stikflote

Reaction score
in our club all members have to show licence at AGM where upon treasurer takes number down ,all comply except one who say no only police or EA can ask for licence,and hes now a committee member would you believe ,one the reasons im leaving club