The new S&TA Video

Reaction score
A wonderful film but with a deep underlying theme, a very worryingand almost depressing theme, I cannot say that I enjoyed it, I probably am not suppose to though, the film highlighted very well the multitude of problems facing angling.

Interestingly, to join the Salmon and Trout Association (£40 per annum)it costs twice as much as joining Angling Trust ,( inclusive of Fish Legal the old ACA£20 per annum).

It will be interesting to compare their track records of achievement after one full year.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice video, Peter, very well made as you'd expect from Hugh and Bernard.

It must have been about 5 years ago now that we had a speaker at a TFCC conference banging on about the lack of fly hatchings these days. It's very worrying and doesn't just affect trout, but all coarse fish as well. Even my friend Frank G. pointed out a while ago how, even in the height of summer now, you get very few fly squatts on your car windscreen where not too long ago it would have been full of them.

It's a worrying aspect for anyone interested in aquatic life, but the genral public are probably quite pleased with not having to use so much windscreen washer fluid. Then again, washer fluid ends up on the roads, down the drains and into the streams and that doesn't help.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

There is an ongoinglarge scale surveyfor up to dateinformation on Fly Hatches in our rivers by the S&TA, andI think that the finalresluts will be very enlightening.

I was a little surprised to hear that Hugh Miles had spent 4 years getting the Mayfly hatch footage - on my local streams we still have a pretty good Mayfly hatch, so much so that it is almost unsporting fishing at that time.

You are right though, the geneal public are just not interested in aquatic life in the same way that they seem to be for avian life.