'Chod' rigs

Reaction score
I had never tried these rigs until someone gave me one to try. The idea of a two-three inch stiff curved nylon rig seemed alien to me.

However, I have tried it and its presentation and general anti-tangle properties are now making me think more seriously about it. I bought a few bits and pieces but am really struggling to put one togethre with any degree of tidiness. Has anybody got any tips on knotting this very stiff nylon mono without kinking it, especially on such a short link? I can get one knot, either swivel or hook, but manage to knacker up the second one.

On the same subject.......

A few days agoI was making up some traces for a days piking and got to thinking about crimps.

Has anybody tried crimping this thick, stiff nylon in the same way as crimping wire?

Cheers all!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

NIGE K

Reaction score
you can crimp fluro justblob the tag end carefully with a lighter

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I crimp my stiff links Para.

I use an ordinary pair of plyers, but you can get the crimping tool from Wytchwood. Advantages are with crimping are that you can get the stiff link to the exact length that you want. Plus no kinking.

Excellent Article Here

Reaction score
Baz, Link not working!

Am hopefully (weather permitting) going down to Drayton on Wednesday so may make some up and give them a try.

Paul, not too worried about the hook end as I would tie a knotless knot turned back on itself, through an 'o' ring and back through the eye- then lighter tagged. Pop-ups can then be tied directly to the o ring. Crimping at the swivel end would take away a world of pain though!

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Go to the Home page.

Type in the Search Box "<u>The Chod Rig</u>" by Samantha - Collins Ratcliffe. Scroll down to third article down.

The crimps are of the double barrelled type.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
nicethread paraman.

i havent really used choddies much but have tied them nice and neatly. tieing the knotless and rig ring onto the hook is easy, but then making a nice unkinked two inch link to the swivel is a little tricky. you just needto be very carfull and only tightenwhen the link is a the right length exactly, otherwise if you put pressure on the mono link it slides and kinks it up /forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif. i use a loop on the swivel to allow a good amount of movement as i feel the swivel doesnt really allow much movement. then you can add putty to the swivel if your not using leadcore which is how i fish it.

bennyblanco

Reaction score
What size crimps do people use?

I have some .45mm fluoro but the smallest double crimps I can find are .5mm minimum and most are a hell of a lot bigger.

F

Frothey

i just use a "granny" knot and blob the tag end - neat and strong enough as we're using high bs line.