Just idle natter

Stephan

Reaction score
All this talk about the cold and `Southern Softies`got me thinking back.

I hail from Bedfordshire but wentoop North when I was 18. I ended up running the Leeds Uni angling club.

So many `freshers` from down South arrived totally unprepared(clothing wise)for a long session around November/December on the Swale.

Nor could some take their beer-some silly sods thawed out by drinking a few pints of theakston`s Old Peculiar-a trail of sick all the way down the A1 /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Ah Old P. Digestive delight - similar effects can be achieved by a surfeit of either Monkeytown Mild or Moorhouse's Black Cat!

M'lud I like the cut of this contributors jib; a fine fellow who drops in for an idle natter (and a Doctor, to boot ). I feel an invite to a certain Port and Stilton Club would not be awry - although this weather does rather put too much of a chill on a fine Tawny and accompanying delicacies.

I also note that, although his profile is most limited, he does confess to a liking of coarse pleasures - definately one of our sort!

Reaction score
haha Old P.

I once worked offshore in teh North Sea for 3 weeks (dry).

Whilst waiting for my flight back home I ended up at the bar for a few hours with load of riggers. I arrived home bladdered...

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Certainly is a fine contribution, many a pint of OP has slipped down my throat over the years, along with Spitfire, Bombardier, Pendle Witches Brew, oh the very thought of them makes me wnt to put on my arctic clothing, get out the sledge and huskies and fight my way through the snow to my local hostelry, or maybe I should just go in the car?

Stephan

Reaction score
I also note that, although his profile is most limited, he does confess to a liking of coarse pleasures - definately one of our sort!

In my defence M`lud can I say that one did fish often when younger-I even got through to the second round of the Embassy once. I also was a keen home brewer and won the odd title-well yes the National for my pale ale.

I got married and those things sort of got left behind

But at the grand old age of 55 I`m well tempted to get my tackleout again-I`ll leave the jokes about that to others

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What about Blandford Fly - made by Badger Beer - nice beer

Poshers as chairman you can invite him in to the port and Stilton club

Stephan

Reaction score
Not sure about the port but smelly blue cheese is a killer for chub /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Dr. Burridge, on behalf of m'lud and the fellow select members of the FM Port and Stilton club I have great pleasure in extending a invitation to our little band. (other cheeses can occasionally be consumed but please check with the committee)

Poshers

Windy

Reaction score
Fond memories of my early encounters with Old P at uni.....

A pub called the Travellers Rest up Claypath in Durham, they used to keep a small barrel of the stuff on tap on the bar, but would not sell it in pints to students, only halves !

One of the first Gastro-Pubs it was too, though no-one had by then thought of such a thing. They had a four star quality restaurant on the first floor above the pub and every Sunday lunch time they would sell off the previous nights unsold four star quality food as tapas like bar snacks for pennies. Absolute bliss. I still have vivid dreams of a bowl of their baked Garlic Mushrooms with smoked bacon and cream, a hunk of fresh home made bread and my 'student's half' of OP to hand. I learnt an awful lot about good quality simple ingredients used to make truly great food there. Happy days.

Stephan

Reaction score
I have great pleasure in extending a invitation to our little band.

I thank you for the honour and accept.

I never did get to wear a floppy velvet hat when awarded a PhD-would waders be OK at the welcoming ceremony?

Stephan

Reaction score
OK I take the Oath

I Dr Stephan Burridge doswear that I will appreciate port and as one whono longer drives will not annoy my wife when she takes me out fishing again.

I understand that just as they come on to bite she feels the need to go home in the evening and was never one to get up at 04.00hrs

I do also swear that should any fellow male take me fishing I will not pass wind in his car nor will my muddy boots go further than than the boot

Reaction score
"pass wind.....muddy boots"

That's nothing. There's some on here, who shall remain nameless, who think nothing ofspreading dog shit around your car.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Reaction score
I notice you have letters BEFORE your name. That's uncanny, because I have letters AFTER mine. However, up until now I have never really felt that they have a purpose on an angling forum.

In fact, they don't so I will probably take them off.

I have a pain down my left leg and in my pelvis. What could be causing it and what could I do to alleviate these symptoms doc?

Stephan

Reaction score
I do hope that post was in no way derogatory to my presence here.

I do indeed have letters after myname as well as those behind it. But you are free to refer to me in future as just `Steph`

As to the pain-well my doctorate in in Psychologyrather than a medical doctor but a general diagnosis would be accute sarcasm syndrome

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifhahaha

That's a fair diagnosis Steph.

You may find that I have underlying symptoms of sillyness and the urge to write total rubbish.