Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
1st, do you like winter fishing?

2nd, would you prefer it to be summer?

3rd, reasons to prefer winter fishing?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

1..Yes

2...Summer's a pain. Too many sunshine/fairweather anglers, walkers, moochers about.

3...Less anglers about.

If there was a 4th choice, I would prefer early Spring or Autumn.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
1. Yes I enjoy a nice walk along the river in the winter. The cold air biting the inside of your nose.

2. For the warmth, the sounds of the birds, the green of the trees, the hum of the bees, yes sometimes.3. Not too many people to spoil the solitude. The better swims are less likely to be occupied. The wife is definitely not willing to come along /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Difficult - both ahve there plus and minus point - can I opt for a nice Spring morning or an Autumn evening?

slime monster

Reaction score
I love it ,if i can get fish interested i am intense in my concentration even if its a modest net at the end it gives me a good feeling to have overcome hard conditions.

Winter /summer different ball game but still fishing and i love it all

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
jesus....winter is not that fun to me......although i know a lake that is day ticket but i only saw two other people on it the whole last summer, i owned all three lakes and did what i wanted, all in the warmth of the summer sun and the fishing was very good.

lucky me

DZ

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I shall be out on a chilly upperKennet, with snow crunching under foot,after a roach in its most splendid condition.

For me the revolving seasons highlight what I enjoy most about fish and fishing. And that is to specifically target the species that is best flourishing atthe specific time of year.

This is the bit that the 'dry man' or non-angler is often so surprised at... "what? so you're saying that you 'know' you're going to catch a perch just because the river's clear, its been cloudy for days,and its autumn?"

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to go fishing in the worst of weathers and still catch fish and enjoy myself.
I even remember night fishing for Carp in the depths of winter when the water was
freezing over and at about 4am my buzzer sounded but my line was frozen to my rod and the optonic sounded because my line was stuck in drifting ice however I still enjoyed it. But I wouldn't enjoy it nowerdays though.
I would much rather be fishing in the spring or autumn after Tench, Crucians or Carp
on a quiet private lake or Barbeling or Chubbing on nice stretch of river in the spring
or autumn.
I'm afraid I've turned more into a warm weather angler, I still fish in the winter but I am
constantly yearning for the spring and autumn.

Maybe if I fished more crowded waters I might think differently, but I doubt it.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Yes

I would but isn't the weather the same in summer as in winter, spring and autumn? /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifmost places i go fish better in the summer, i can fish for longer, though yes those "fairweather" folk are annoying as are the "have you caught anything?" band

Getting out over christmas when the boring family are round and knowing noone is daft enough to want to come along with me haha

Steve Holland

Reaction score
1. Yes, absolutely bloody love it!!!!!!!!

2. Not fussed between the 2 really.

3. Quiet banks, feel each fish is a more meritable capture especially in snowy/icy weather.

I love summer for the tench, barbeland bream fishing and winter is great for roach, chub and pike.

Chris Spreckley

Reaction score
Love winter fishing.

It's the catching that eludes.

I'd love winter catching.

Anyone know how to catch rather than fish.

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Chris, the main thing with winter fishing is to choose the right species to fish for. For me the main 3 are pike, roach and chub. However, most species will feed, the hardest part is determining when these will feed.

Barbel for instance will come onto the feed during an increase in temperature, but, after a sustained temp. level, the fish become acclimatised and may be more willing to feed.

River fishing as far as I'm concerned is more prolific in winter than stillwater. This is because the fish have to feed more due to battling the current in running water.

Never go out thinking you'll bagup as this generally is a rarity unless you strike lucky and get on a hungry shoal. Leave your high protein baits like pellets and boilies at home, bread, worm and maggots are the best baits and deadbaits for pike. A smelly cheese paste is also a good bait to use and don't forget spicy/hot/garlicky flavourings for baits.

Sometimes roach and dace will feed right from the off, sometimes they don't turn on until later in the day. Its really a case of spending time on the water sussing out when the feeding spells are.

I'm quite sure other people on here will have other ideas, but these are just my own observations/tactics./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Chris Spreckley

Reaction score
Steve,

Many thanks for that as you may have guessed I am new'ish to course but not game or sea fishing. These have their own differing disciplines some of which are not dissimilar to your proposals.

My problem is I meet people on the bank who are blanking and they tell meof your thesis or similar andwith great assumed integrity, however during later conversation say at 1500hrs I'll say something like, and I reiterate, "do you suppose it's timing that catches", which at one time in particularelicited theanswer of, "well if it is I've been here since five thirty this morning; don't believe there are any fish in this 'ruddy' pit". [Grey Mist Mere, Warrington,November 2008]. Therefore these guys believed in your thesis but chose to play out the whole day in any event.

So I believe your right, dead right; I just want the fish to let me know when these moments might occur; Dr., Doolittle like?, I should say so.

Specihunter

Reaction score
  1. winter
  2. no
  3. it's harder to catch in winter but it can more rewarding than summer

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I do enjoy winter fishing the most, usually bigger chub and less eels and probably because there are less anglers on the bankas I'm basically a miserable old $ugger. Oh, and less likely to be bothered by barbel./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Summer; I would enjoy more but for the 10ft high vegetation (invasive species) on the river banks that makes fishing not wort the effort at times.

In the winterI can have a good few hours fishing into dark and still be back home in time for the TV soaps (sad I know) Summer time it can be gone 12-00pm when I arrive back home.

Karl Whittick

Reaction score
I have only been fishing for one season and despitge the bigger fish and bags coming in the summer i already prefer winter fishing as it always seems so much more rewarding !

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It'd be nice to have winter fishing in the summer ..... which, the way the weather patterns are going,might not be as strange as it sounds

Morgan Wilson

Reaction score
I prefer the summer fishing, for the evenings had after a hard days work, that I cant have in Winter.

Given that, as ssaid many times, its very rewarding catching fish in Winter, Especially big Pike!