Barbel in the Frozen North

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Brilliant feature (long overdue as the stuff lately has been dull) can't wait to try these theories on the Ribble...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Morley wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Brilliant feature (long overdue as the stuff lately has been dull)
</blockquote>A matter of opinion, but an absolute fact is that at least they made the effort.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Good read Sean,

Glad I don't live in the frozen North.

Do you ever get barbel on the maggot feeder?

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Another good read Sean, Chubabling is as good a description as any for how I fish the Ribble.My lowest river temp for a Ribble Barbel was this year at 5.5C or there about.

I'll be out again this weekend Chubabling come what may and bearing in mind what Sean's said about longer daylight I've a mind to put in a day session and get home to watch Match of the Day.

Once again Sean a good read, it's brightened up an otherwise boring day at work.

E

Eric Hayes

Enjoyable read Sean, thank you. I managed a Barbel of 10lb 3oz last week and the Water temp was only just 4c. In the same session I also had a smaller Barbel of about 2.5lb and 4 Chub 3 over 5lb. My BP of 12lb 4oz came with a water temp of 3c, but the temperature had been settled for a few days. I think in the colder conditions if you are all out for a Barbel it's worth using only one rod. This focuses all your attention on that rod. The fish last week would most likely have been missed hadI been fishing 2 rods because when the bite did come the tip only moved a fraction & had I been fishing with another rod who knows what I could have been doing when the tip moved. Obviously when you are after Barbel in these low temperatures with only one rod location is key. I also think it's worth using softer rodsat this time of year.

CAT

Reaction score
Nice article Sean, i was talking to a lad that fishes the Swale on a regular basis and he tells me there is some clonking Barbel to be had but not many anglers really fish it compared to the Trent Barbel hot spots.

I know what you mean about the head torch mate, I've been there that's why i now always carry a candle in my bag just in case.

Great read pal keep them coming.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Re head torches, I suppose we've all done the, sh*t where's my !$$* torch. I've now have one of those wind up torches that never leaves my rucksack as a backup.

R

Robert Woods

Excellent post mucker. It's got me thinking of another plan for the Ribble. Like idea of covering hookbait with a bit of feed...cheaper than PVA bags and you don't need to take much pellet mix with you.

Pat Gillett

Reaction score
Sean wrote "I keep feed to a minimum, using only a small maggot feeder and a small paste wrap round the pellets. In clear, cold water I'll keep an eye out for small indications on the pellet rod and switch to maggot if I don't get a positive take. Experience on the Don shows that these small twitches are often barbel and a switch to maggot almost invariably results in a fish."

The maggot approach has to be the most effective for cold clear water. Whilst fishing the middle Severn a few years ago we had some really good winter results fishing the maggot feeder, taking as many as 9 fish in a day when the water was only around 3 deg. centigrade. The large Drennan Feeder was only half filled and was left out for about 90 mins (if possible) or until the hookbait was taken by a barbel. Tackle was scaled down sensibly (6lb hooklength) from the summer months.

I believe most of the key to winter success is down to location, if you can find a swim which holds plenty of barbel then even in adverse conditions you will have a chance of catching one or two.

Cheers, Pat

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Excellent read Sean.I have all the time in the world with miles of empty river bank, I just wish I had two working legs.

A few years back (c 1990) a Christmas sweepstakes on the Wear produced an 8 fish babel catch for a little over 60lb. It was fished between Christmas and New year after a rise in temperature during a very cold spell. As no one seriously targets big fish on that sectionthe potential is still untapped, most fish very light for the dace, gudgeonand roach.

That particular section is about 18'deep and is fed by magnesium aquifers from the south east of the county. That is probably why that area of the river also produces good catches of very small barbel in the summer. Probably the least looking section of water on the entire river expected to produce barbel.

Chubabling indeed, John. Remember Charlie has his spies. Ive already had a 'ticking off' over AD's photo in the last mag/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Skoda

Reaction score
Another excellent article, Sean, many thanks! The product of a true pedagogue!

I’m not sure that barbel can’t be caught down south in cold weather but it must be harder to locate the holding spots on rivers larger than the Swale. I think targeting is the key on the smaller waters; drop a bait within a few metres or so.

On the wider midland rivers like the Trent and the Severn the methods commonly employed rely on the barbel roving around in search of food.

Looking forward to some warmer weather though!/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gifAndy

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Sean, I enjoyed that.

I think the temperatures quoted as a threshold below which barbel feed, are often misleading. I think a number of writers portray their experience of the rivers they fish as gospel but most of them only seem to fish a limited number of venues and regions.

My feeling is that temeraptures, its trends and its relativity to 'normal' for each river is what counts.

It's well worth each angler using a thermometer, taking note of the temps and working out what works on their river.

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
Apologies - great article but off topic.

Is Mick Beecroft related to Ron "Northern Browhopper" Beecroft by any chance?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Just got round to reading this - good article - I must try out your lumpy paste tactic on the Rother

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Don't think I could make an article from my blanks since December.... Sean's articles are consistently excellent, just look at the responses. Since Graham relinquished such tight control, the amount of excellent material has not hit the site quite so often, I checked the archive and still believe this to be the case. Mid winter (and an awful one) is not great time, tho, I'm sure, for anyone. I'm glad the site's still there, some of the stuff is so good I was worried about how to save the best bits. Seems we won't have to. More great stuff, keep 'em coming Sean, who needs printed media???

R

Robert Woods

If I'm fishing pasted up boillies on hook I sometimes wrap lead in paste. If I have small 2mm pellets I dunk lead in them so pellets stick in paste.