Secret baits

The Sogster

Reaction score
I believe it was Peter Stone that used to swear by mashed bread and custard powder for big roach, still works well today. Good luck with the crucians.

Stephan

Reaction score
The secret to secret baits is

Tell me-in the 70`s I used to go out with some folk who considered themselves `specimen hunters`

As dawn broke I might have had the odd chub,barbel or even a carp and eel depending where we were fishing.

Some nets were empty-so secret were their baits no fish had ever heard of them/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

webo

Reaction score
Another secret bait for Crunchie,s from the 80,s me and my mates used at Cusworth park near Donny was Cheese triangles,it is super soft so as you can guess was only fished under the rod tip.

A small lump broken off with <u>WET</u> fingers and a 14 hook pushed in was gently swung out and fished at dead depth absolutely deadly.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>webo wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

A small lump broken off with <u>WET</u> fingers and a 14 hook pushed in was gently swung out and fished at dead depth absolutely deadly.</blockquote>
sounds just like how paste anglers use paste nowadays

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
My sons not so secret bait last year was maltesers, he reckons the carp were fighting to get them.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ive used Maltesers before and there great pop ups for the first 20 mins then the water gets inside and they turn into a slow sinking bait that eventually turns into a hollow ball of chocolate. They are great for fishing over silt.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
My son was using them on the top, and were taken in preference to Chum mixers