Help!! ..Mega in Spain

Mega

Reaction score
Help!! Mega in Spain.
Getting to grips with (I think!!)ledgering but making a real cock up of float fishing fishing for carp.
I'm waiting for some barbless hooks from the UK so I have "flattened" some barbed hooks bought here in Spain. I've been using a waggler showing approx. half an inch on a very slow moving river, 4ft deep, rigged up with main line to a swivel and hook length of about 12 inches. I've plumbed depths down the swim and fishing just off /on the bottom as my rig moves down the swim. I'm using sweetcorn soaked in garlic salt and only a sprinkle of ground bait. I am having good positive takes, no messing about with these carp!!... but my strike rate is c**p!
I am catching but missing to many (particularly at the end of the swim.)My rod is a lightweight 12ft telescopic with quiver tip.
Any advice on rigs / techniques appreciated. Thanks..Mega

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Whereabouts in Spain are you Mega? I'm over there shortly and am willing to bring out some gear if you are on the Costa del Sol coast.

Keith M

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mega wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Help!! Mega in Spain. Getting to grips with (I think!!)ledgering but making a real cock up of float fishing fishing for carp. I'm waiting for some barbless hooks from the UK so I have "flattened" some barbed hooks bought here in Spain. I've been using a waggler showing approx. half an inch on a very slow moving river, 4ft deep, rigged up with main line to a swivel and hook length of about 12 inches. I've plumbed depths down the swim and fishing just off /on the bottom as my rig moves down the swim. I'm using sweetcorn soaked in garlic salt and only a sprinkle of ground bait. I am having good positive takes, no messing about with these carp!!... but my strike rate is c**p! I am catching but missing to many (particularly at the end of the swim.)My rod is a lightweight 12ft telescopic with quiver tip. Any advice on rigs / techniques appreciated. Thanks..Mega </blockquote>

Mega, If you are using a 'quivertip' rodfor float fishing then thats probablywhy you are missing bites on the strike or not hooking them properly,the quivertip is cushioning the strike on the float and not pulling the hook home fully, particularly if it's happening at the end of the swim mostly. Ideally you need a rod that will enable you to pick up the line off the water fast on the strike with a length between 12 and 15 ft without being too stiff.

Mega

Reaction score
Hi Keith
Thanks for your much appreciated comments! However if you see my CORRECTED email on the thread you will see what a plonker I am but thanks anyway I will check my line this weekend. I'm off out again now so gotta fly.

Cheers

Mega