Flextec fly rods

• Thread starter Richard Drayson
  • Start date
R

Richard Drayson

Anyone have any info on these rods? It's a bit too late to ask as I've taken a gamble and bought one (XRD 44) at at massive discount from Tackle Discounts. Apparently, the rods are used by the Irish fly fishing team. Made from Toray carbon and my 9ft 4-piece weighing in at a measley 100 grams. Lovely finish too and supplied in a wood and brass tube.

Anyone else got one?

Morespiders

Reaction score
If you happy with it Richard, what the hell, lots of rubbish written about rods, I have Sages, Gordons Shakespeare's, Greys and cant really see much difference.

Sounds nice mate.

R

Richard Drayson

Cheers, I have to say that it looks and feels fantastic. Can't wait to try it out.

Tommo!

Reaction score
Just had a look at the site.

Shouldn't shout too loud or they will sell out.

I take it that it is a real rrp and not a 'Used Tackle' mark up then discounted.

I am new to the fly fishing lark but have been invited on a Norwegian Sea Trout trip.

I doubt that my 8' #5 is up to it. What would you guys reccomend? I would like to use it for Pike fishing as well, I was thinking 9' #7/8 or 10'6" #8/9 am I in the right area?

Fergal Scully 3

Reaction score
Guys Flextec sponsor the irish flyfishing team, doesn't mean the team uses the rods.

The rods are good value for money alright but they are not as good as a sage or loomis even a greys but at the price they are going for they are well worth a shot especially if your only starting.

If you intend to fish for pike and sea trout go for the 8/9 any lower and you'll struggle to cast the big flies necessary for pike and struggle to land the big pike you'll get. Ideally for pike a 9/10 is needed but the 8/9 will suffice.