help please

marie marling

Reaction score
Lee if you want cheap stuff try the dragon carp direct website hope this helps. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
There isn't a standard Carp setup so before you buy a carp rod you would need to know where you arelikely to be using it, eg. buying a 3.5lb test Curve rod would put you at a disadvantage if you are only using it on a smallish lake or pond as it would be stiffer than you needed, and you could end up losing more fish through hook pullouts than you needed to. a through actioned rod of around 1.25lb TC may be far better for absorbng the close in runs under the rod tipor for stalking Carp on the surface using floating baits plus you wouldn't need to cast to the horizon. Alternatively a 1.25lb Test Curve rod would be a bit undergunned for lobbing a 4oz lead 150 yards andstriking the hook home at that sort of range even when using a bolt rig. Or you may want to catch smaller Carp at a commercial match type fishery where anglers are fishing for Carp usingpower float rods or Poles.Once you have decided where and how you are going to use it you can look around ready armed with your requirements and get the right tool. good luck.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Lee if i were you i'd save your pennies and buy something half decent rather than the cheap tosh Dragon Carp sell. I live in the town where they have one of their shops and the vast majority of the stuff they sell is cheap and nasty!!!

TJD Notts

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it after seeing it Marie. The rods are very thick and the reels don't feel very smooth. Everything looks tacky with big bright logos which isn't my thing at all.

If you're looking to set-up on the cheap as you don't know if it's for you thentheir stuff would be perfect but otherwise i'd save my money and buy something else as there's always deals around especially with the financial tumoil the country is in!!!

marie marling

Reaction score
Leedoes your local tackle shop sell second hand kit(brand name)because ours dose and you can get some good bargains/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. hope you find the kit you want and catch the double your after .

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Lee have a good read of the Carp threads on here. Also have a read of the articles that Frothy and others have submitted regarding carp fishing.

Then tell us what sort of venue you fish on and describe as much about it as you can, size, depth,, features how often is it fished, do they have matches etc. Once we know where you are fishing and the size of the fish we will be in a better position to answer your questions and help you.

But first my little fishing jedi you must help us.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Lee, you say you are a real novice;best advice I can give you thenis to go with someone who knows what ther'e doing as there are some simple but important things that you need to know about playing, handling and returning fish.

If you can't find anyone to go with then research carp fishing as much as you can; there's loads of stuff about on the internet, libraries, mazazines etc.

For your first carp rod, go for a two and a quarter pound test curve rod; the cheaper ones tend to be a bit on the soft side but thats not a bad thing whilst your learning. I started carp fishing with a pair ofDaiwa Sensors; used them to fish for pike too!

I would try to get hold of some cheap shimano baitrunners rather than buying cheaper baitrunners; you can pick up something like the Shimano 6000RE for about £30 - £35 each...well worth the little extra money and pretty reliable.

Best cheap bite alarms are made by Fox; you can get them for less than £20 each.....DONT buy alarms any cheaper than this...it will be a false economy trust me.

Make sure you use a 'safe' rig; i.e. one that if your lead gets snagged and your line breaks, won't leave the fish dragging a lead around. Get some advice from as many people as you can mate.

Finally, don,t be afraid to ask 'daft' questions....there's plenty of experienced anglers in this forum who won't mind pointing you in the right direction/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Spoddy Dave dst

Reaction score
One bit of advice i would like to give you is avoid buying the cheaper complete carp setups that are advertised.

Okay the items you get will do the job to a point, and be OK for a while but after you gain experience, guaranteed you will want to upgrade everything.

Unless you want to get out and have a go straight away its best to shop around and get the best of each items you can afford, even if you have to wait a little longer.

Allready good advice from FM members above..also check out the reviews from the guys on FM you can't go wrong.

Monty Python

Reaction score
Some good advice above. The only thing I will say is don’t feel the need to go out and catch the biggest fish around, learn the ropes, go out and catch some smaller carp so you learn how to handle them safely. Fish safety is paramount... remember the fishes habitat is under the water not flapping about on a bank or being dropped from any distance.

Fish safe and the best of luck...

Matt

lee goode 3

Reaction score
iv caught 1 to 2 lb carp using wagler rod and pole also caught bream to 4lbs loadz of rud and perch so i know the basics. just wonderd what id need to catch bigger carp

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Lee, make sure youtry floating baits in the summer; one of the simplest(and most pleasurable) ways ofcatching carpis to stalk them withfloating baits....not recommended if you are of nervous disposition but an awesome way to catch good fish!!

shall

Reaction score
hi mate, fox warrior es carp rods are £45 in street angling centre plus 15% discount on first orders.just bought a couple myself well impressed.

moody

Reaction score
hello lee mate , when i first started carping i bought a cheap set up and found within weeks i wished i hadn't! save up and buy decent kit branded names such as fox daiwa shimano etc are popular because its good quality stuff designed by proffessional anglers! As for bivvies chairs pods alarms etc they do not matter so much when you first start BUT!! please make sure you get yourself some good rods and reels loaded with decent line this will stand you in good stead for years of fishing!! try fox warriors 2.75 or chub outkasts 2.75 paired with the iconic shimano 8000 baitrunners this set up will catch you almost anything in the uk if you load the reels with 12lb line no less and i would reccomend suffix duo core as a learner as it behaves its self and sinks well hope this heps bud good luck!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif