IYCF Letters pages...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Reading IYCF this evening in the bath I got to the letters' page.

A chap was 'appalled to find them selling 4lb mirror carp' on the fish counter in a well known supermarket. He is 'sure that any right minded person will find this completely objectionable' and that he will suffer a self imposed ban from this supermarket until they withdraw carp from sale there.

I thought to myself 'is this for real?' What on earth is the problem with selling carp as food? It's a fish, just like cod or trout or any others commonly available in every supermarket. I thought there would follow a sensible and carefully worded response from editor Kevin Green explaining why there is no reasonable problem with this development in the fishmongering world.

'Kev says... the sale of carp in supermarkets can only encourage those that plunder our waters to steal wild fish. For this reason alone, it's a disgrace'

Is it just me or is this utterly ridiculous?

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous.

Perhaps Kev's moving over to the Green Party. This isn't a new issue, I have seen similar letters appearing in other mags. Makes you wonder how veggie the writer is. Double standards all round.

F

Fred Bonney

Paul, I agree with you, carp has been on sale on fishmongers slabs for donkey's years, mainly for the ex Eastern European Jewish community.

Definitely in London,probably Manchester and other major cities of the UK

So, at least since the 1940's. Imported most recently from Israel(1960's)

It's now in demand enough for the supermarkets to also stock it for our Eastern European immigrants/workforce.

Kevin Green is wrong, the trouble with all these young guns, as is usual in todays world, they have no knowledge of this country's history.

After all medieval monks(5th century onwards)used to farm them for food, all over Britain!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
To be fair he does say that carp used to be eaten regularly in Britain in the past and that these fish will have been farmed. He just seems to think that selling this species of fish for food today is somehow irresponsible.

S

Scott Whatmore

I used to visit St Albans regularly and they have a superb street market. One fish stall regularly had carp. As a fisherman I did not like to see this but have to accept it because if it wasn't for the farming of carp as a food source, we wouldn't have any at all.

The problem comes when people steal carp from fisheries for food.

marie marling

Reaction score
if they sell carp in the supermarket it might stop some people from stealing them /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Is anyone objecting to the sale of eels? Mullet? Trout?! To my mind, this reaction is a consequence of the "carp cult", whipped up by the high priests - manufacturers, the angling press and anyone else who makes money out of selling over-priced, unnecessary gear to the worshippers at their altars.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Why not make everybody happy and sell cats and dogs on the meat stalls?

We are now in the year 2009, where selling coarse fish for food should be stopped. Take all your blinkers off and face the reality of what you are condoning.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
The reality of what I'm condoning is fish farming - jobs, healthy protein and a varied diet. And quite possibly the same farms that breed the thousands of carp stocked into commercials.

Should supermarkets stop selling rabbit and chicken because it might encourage people to eat their pets?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"We are now in the year 2009, where selling coarse fish for food should be stopped. Take all your blinkers off and face the reality of what you are condoning"

It is you that has the blinkers on Baz. Eating fish is a part ofsome peoplesdiet, as is meat and vegetables and why stop eating just coarse fish why not go the full hog and stop eating sea fish as well- boing! there goes all the chippies in the country plus the living of hundreds of hundreds of fishermen.

Coarse fish are no different to sea fish they are a source of foodbut coarse fish arefully sustainable which can't be said of sea fish.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Gentlemen we are at the top of the food chain for a reason.

Anything with a face is food.

The letter writer in IYCF needs to get out in the real world and have a good look around.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't see any problem with either eating carp or farming them. After all thats why mirror and king carp are around, they were artificially and selectively bred by man for food, and nothing less.

I've eaten a few carp in my life and cooked properly thay are quite edible.

We think nothing of eating rainbow trout. I must eat about 40 of them a year. Damn good healthy food they are.

I wish they would farm zander. I normallyeat about two a year but there are so few of them in this part of the world. Zander are some of the tastiest fish that swim.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

they were artificially and selectively bred by man for food, and nothing less.

And that is the important bit Ron were.

Game fish and sea fish are for eating. Coarse fish are for sport.

For everybody else:

I view the promoting of eating of coarse fish exactly the same as giving up the right to live bait. give up that right, and it is another nail in the coffin of angling.

Promote the eating of coarse fish, and it is another step closer to let the "I Don't Understand Brigade" rape our stillwaters.

The Angling Times did an article last week on Put and Take Carp fisheries. Absolute madness in my opinion.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I see what you mean Peter.

Most game anglers put Grayling back as they are very bony. But I would now class Grayling as a coarse fish.

Let's face it. Nobody is that bluddie hungry are they?

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Baz

Carp are not an idiginous species to this country. They were introduced to this country by the monks who only used them for food. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and churches some of our ancestors jumped in to have a feast and release them to the wild.

The main reason that freshwater fish have never been consumed as readily as sea fish is the tainting of the meat, they tend to have a much earthier taste not enjoyed by many. Until transport made sea fish more readily available to the masses I think you'll find eating course fish was the norm. Izzak Walton has recipes for many course fish in the Compleat Angler.

So what's the difference between a carp put-and-take and a trout venue? Nowt. Carp are only held aloft because of the historic mystery surrounding their whereabouts. No mysteries today, they are farmed, same as cows and sheep.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Carp are not an idiginous species to this country. They were introduced to this country by the monks who only used them for food. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and churches some of our ancestors jumped in to have a feast and release them to the wild.

Yes Grumpy, but that was then. We are now in 2009 and things have changed.

I really can't understand the mentality that you are all displaying, by condoning the eating of Coarse fish, I really can't.

Is there not one of you with the intelligence to know, where this in all probability will lead to?

W

Wolfman Woody

Before going any further, I'll bet my last week's wages (nowt) that said carp were imported. It's the only source for them these days, usually from Hungary or sometimes Israel.

Mirror carp were on sale in Tescos in 1996 because I commented on them at the time to some EA guys and their reply was "That's the best use for them."

As far as I'm concerned they can take as many as they like out of the Thames and sell them on street markets if they want. No need to farm zander, Ron, take them out of the rivers as well and let people eat them.

Can you eat wells catfish? If so, them as well.

marie marling

Reaction score
Baz are you thinking that carp in super markets is going to encourage more fish thefts .

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Organic Carp at Upper Hayne Farm

Upper Hayne Farm is the first fish farm in the UK to grow organic carp for the table.

The farm entered organic conversion in 2006 The fish farm is also involved in developing, sustainable recirculation aquaculture, course fish production and a water plant nursery.

Our farm was recently visited by Hugh Fernly Whittingstall from channel four’s River Cottage programme.