How will the recent snow effect river fishing next week

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a day or 2 on the Rother in Sheffield next week but not sure how it will fish given the recent weather - would I be better at a lake?

Confused of Sheffield

S

Sean Meeghan

I'd give it a go your lordship. The forecast is for relatively mild weather next week and the thaw this week has been relatively slow. The catchment for the Rother is relatively low lying and much of the snow melt will have passed through by the end of the weekend.

Get yer chub rods out - tally ho!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

You'll will never know until you give it a go.

I've had Barbel in conditions when the river itself was almost frozen.I remember that morning well (1994 i think)anda mate saying (and a very well known Barbel angler he is) "your mad going out in that, you go no chance". Ok, chances were slim but they will at some stage feed and that afternoon in bitterlycold conditions i had a double figure Barbel on the bank and a huge grin. Three micro pellets glued to a hair and a tiny tiny PVA bag did the trick.

Yesterday a friend did very well Chubingon a swollen up and 'almost' unfishable Kennet.

Go get em.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips las

I'll after a nice rother chub - bread flake and maggot will be the bait - also a bit of cheese paste - and the odd big lob

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Deffo take the Lobs /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
stay off the rother

its doesnt handle rain at all well...snow melt will kill it

do the Don...

far better option

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Well M'Lud I might be partaking of a little jaunt along the Rother myself this week, saw somw lovely chub in a favourite spot of mine on Friday, lurking in the slack out of the main flow, which was the speed of an Intercity Express!

Lee is right, the Rother doesn't handle extra water very well, you need to find the slacks!

By the way Sean, the Rother rises in the hills of the Peak District, not exactly "low lying!"

If you want info.let me know, it might get me back into the Port and Stilton good books.

C

Chris Pearson

Donald,Wrong Pilsley I'm afraid, the one where the source is is near Chesterfield not the one in The Dales so shouldn't be suffering too badly from the snow melt.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
cheers Don

May be we can arrange to meet up and fish sometime this week

Donald Bain

Reaction score
M'Lud, thinking of a little jaunt on Wednesday after spending Tuesday exploring the river for best spots. Will let you know here it looks good.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Hope so Fed! My pond fish are really hungry now, I always use them as guide to other fish.

F

Fred Bonney

My pond still has thick ice,Dn!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Funny thing Fred, one pond is ice free, the smaller one still thick with ice and they are only a metre apart. Cannot fathom that one out!

Donald Bain

Reaction score
M'Lud, had alook yesterday at the Rother, still rising and going like and express train!

There are one or two slacks and eddies that look inviting, but they are lower down near Catcliffe. Beighton amd Woodhouse stretches are just too flooded.

Will let you know tomorrow as I'm going down to Catcliffe for another look.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Although it is now warming up a fair but, the Avonaround Salisbury is only just now back within its banks.

The 'flood' waters stretch across the water meadows for about 100 yards, so even getting to a favourite swim is still out of the question.

I hope that the Itchen is in better shape for next weekend though.