Sensitivity

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Following on from other discussions,

I feel its a common mis-conception that a 'low-resistance' rig is the same as 'sensitive rig'.

Its my belief the very opposite is true, and if you reduce resistance then you reduce sensitivity.

I define sensitivity as: the amount of indication an angler receives that a fish is in the swim or taking the bait. Resistance is what a fish feels when it picks up the bait.

In order for a bite to register the 'bite indicator' must move, therefore the tighter the line from the bait to indicater the better the bite registration.......... Quivertipping is a fine example of this, and is very sensitive. This however does add resistance to a taking fish. On the opposite side a free lined bait with slack line will offer no resistance, but give little indication if a fish takes the bait on the spot.

Both types of rig have usefull applications, and some of the best rigs are a combination of both principals.

Butin my opinion the terms 'sensitive' and 'low resistance' are very much miss-understood.

Discuss................................

peter mayall

Reaction score
phew mark, have you just opened a box of worms.

i could wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning if you are talking about one species,

on a particular water,at a particular time, but a day later as we all know things have changed.

this topic is going to give you a headache mate.

tight lines..or slack,

pete.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
My point is simple Peter.

Regardless of species, the statement 'low resistance = more sensitive' isoften qoutedbut wrong.

chub angler

Reaction score
Its true what your saying the slacker the line the less it pulls your rod tip when the fish picks up your bait resistance is what the fish feels when it takes your bait.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Its possible to have maximum sensitivity with no (or very little) resistance, in a fashion anyway.

If you are fishing on a tight line and are using a bolt rig then you will see the bite instantly with maximum sensitivity whilst the fish in most instances wont be able to resist and do anything about it as itmay already be hooked.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

The whole idea of a bolt rig is maximum resistance, that's how it works.

You're right, it is sensitive.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Hard to resist falling to it i mean sorry.

Reading your original post again i took the word resist in a different text to you sorry if my post reads confusingly, i can see how that would happen now, but i cannot edit it sadly.

I meant resist as in the fish couldnt resist falling to the bolt rig and not that the method was low on resistance, sorry.

preston96

Reaction score
So is a "balanced" rig.... eg just enough weight to hold bottom and then pay out line to form a bow to help it holda low resistance, or sensitive rig? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

bolt rig can be picked up and move across lake/river to the left or to the right with no indication !

cant remember the angles but in the years Ive fished for carp its happened a couple of times ,Ive hit a bite and the fish is nowhere near where it should be

so I would say a running rig would be better in your example Hark Mewitt

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Williams 11 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>So is a "balanced" rig.... eg just enough weight to hold bottom and then pay out line to form a bow to help it holda low resistance, or sensitive rig? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Don't know. /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

As for Wavid Dhite, my point is.............. Low resistance does not mean sensitive!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
No.

Hoping someone will come up with a situation where they have a low resistant yet sensitive rig..............

You lost me Yakec when you said you'd had a run.............................../forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

by the way the catfish and pike boys do it ,they fish with open bale arms and still register bites

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Transcript of Previous Thread Where This Has Been Discussed:

Tony Said: Lot to be said for using banksticks, particularly for pike fishing but carp too; rods can be pointed at where the lead is reducing resistance which improves sensitivity. Easier to remove and carry to where fish have been spotted.Easier to set up in tight / jungle swimsDosen't look as cool though does it?

Mark Said: "No. Resistance and sensitivity are totally different. If you reduce resistance then you reduce sensitivity.For example, free-lining is resistance free but fish may pick up a bait without giving and indication to the angler, so is not sensitive. A quivertip with a tight line and short hook link is very sensitive, as every movement shows up. Its not resistance free though.Both types of rig have their applications, but both are very different.

Tony Said: Mark, I am comparing the relative virtues of fishing from rod rests versus fishing from a rod pod; your reference to freelining is out of context.Can't remember ever having seen anyone freelining from rod rests or rod pods

Mark Said: I understand mate,But the statement "reducing resistance which improves sensitivity." Is inaccurate and is often misunderstood. I gave free-lining just as an example.

Tony Said: By pointing the rod directly at the lead resistance is reduced...FACT.

By reducing resistance in a running leger set up sensitivity is improved. My definition of sensitivity within the context of fishing is similar to yours; the degree of indication that a fish has picked up a bait. Pike & Zander fishermen in particular utilise low resistance run rings and light bobbins to minimise resistance; this improves the indication that a fish has picked up the bait (sensitivity).

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Mark

Would you agree that by removing resistance one has achieved sensitivity in this particular instance?

preston96

Reaction score
Tony,

If you point the rod directly at the lead and the fish moves directly towards you the lead moves...FACT.

My own belief is there is no such thing as a low resistance rig............just rigs that give us extra seconds or hook the fish for us.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
You can have low resistance and sensitivity but you are right that low resistance does not necessarily mean sensitive.

It is about matching the resistance to the conditions and species.

For example: using a quiver-tip suited to the tow of the river or shotting your float accurately.

Using a heavier lead than is required to cast the required distance or hold bottom can increase sensitivity when quiver tipping as the lead is less likely to move on a bite meaning the line passes freely through the run-ring.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Tony Cummings wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Mark

Would you agree that by removing resistance one has achieved sensitivity in this particular instance?</blockquote>
Paul, sorry mate; meant to say by reducing resitance, not removing it./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif