canal carp help

shall

Reaction score
i need a bit of advice about how to approach my local canal.its 16 miles long and 30 yrds wide average and ranges between 14 to 18ft deep as far as i know it starts in the margins about 5ft and slopes to the middle. ive seen and heard of carp being caught but not many.there is also tench and bream.it gets very weedy and clear in the summer months.its pretty featureless. i dont realy know where to start as in baiting , rigs etc

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'd wait for some warmer weather, find some quiet areasand start introducing some floaters. You'll need some paticence, but it shoud bring up any carp in the area.

If you want to fish before the warmer weather I'd start some light pre-baiting in margin swims that have any kind of feature. Simple baits like hemp and corn should do. Which canal is it?

shall

Reaction score
its the gloucester/sharpness at purton i wont be going till spring anyway im thinking of lightly prebaiting once every two weeks or something like that untill i fish it . do you think that might work?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Its a good start, I'd pick a number of swims to start and fish them in rotationuntil you locate the fish. Good luck!

Nathan

Reaction score
Apparently (ive not tried this myself) if you get a high power torch and walking along the canal at night, you'll be able to see the carp in the water. I think the light reflects off their eye similar to a cat's eye. It may not be practical with the length of canal you've got but it might give you a start point.

Other than that i'd say regualrly baiting an area will often encourage the carp to come and have a munch. If you've got a lot of bream i'd use bigger baits (20mm boilies) to make sure there's some food left for the carp when they get there.

shall

Reaction score
ok mate will try that, doesnt sound a bad idea.