New To Sea Fishing

R

Ross Turner

I`m thinking about starting sea fishing & wondered if anyone has any advice on a suitable beach outfit around the ?100 mark.

D

Dave Godwin

Hi Ross yes you should be able to get going for that price i suggest that you buy a mag and check the mail order ads try southend angling centre they usually have very good deals

Dave

R

Ross Turner

Thank dave,will have a look,but any suggestions on makes etc.

D

Dave Godwin

on the sort of budget that you have i would suggest Shakespeare as they have a good range of budget tackle

Dave

W

willie mckinnon

Hello Ross,
As you don't say the area you will be fishing it will be hard to advise you.I would go with the first reply and buy a mag Sea Angler would be a good start,it will give you a good idea of what you will get for your money.Once you have an idea of what you would like ask again for advise if it is suitable for your needs.
tight lines Willie

R

Ross Turner

The area im planing on fishing is the lincolnshire coast line from around grimsby area to skegness/mablethorpe areas.

R

Ross Turner

Followed your advice having a look at the shakespeare Odessa 1338 fixed spool version & the Quo front drag 2019/070 fixed spool reel.
As i said on a previous reply i`m hoping to fish the lincolnshire coast area.
Also what basic tackle would i need to get started fishing,as you can tell i hav`nt a clue about sea fishing so i need all the help i can get.Thanks.

D

Dave O'L

Ross if you get a fixed spool make sure the drag is at the front, so you can tighten it right up.
Rear drags can't be done tight enough to prevent slippage with the weights that get cast. If the drag gives line & your finger is there - well you know how they cut cheese?

I don't know your area but I agree with Willie.
You may be fishing rocky areas. If that is the case you may need a bit of poke.
Don't fall into the trap though of 'distance'. If you are just starting you need a rod soft enough so you can compress it to cast.
There's a lot of testosterone on some beaches, with some trying to bend broomsticks because the ad says it can cast 200yds plus.

R

Ross Turner

Thanks dave,the reel is front drag & the rod had a good reviev in sea angler sometime ago,As for terminal tackle what would i need to get to start me off fishing.

D

Dave O'L

million dollar question Ross?
Depends on species, ground, tides etc.
I'm only a beginer at this game too.

Book I found really helpful is the Sea Angler rigs book. I got mine in WH Smithies & it don't cost much. I think the mag is doing a deal.
The other key thing is to suss out which tackle shops are helpful - ask them & especially if you are parting with a little of the 'readys' they should give a few pointers.

W

willie mckinnon

Hello Ross,
Your thread here is very quiet,I thought some more people might have tried to help.Anyway I hope you have not been put off.Have you decided on your set up.
may the fish be with you willie.....

D

Dave O'L

The Sea threads are a bit slow on FM Willie.
I think most members are carp & coarse nuts.
I hope more sea anglers join as I want to get into it now I'm not so far from the coast.

W

willie mckinnon

Hello Dave,
Your spot on slow is about right,Please be careful if you are just starting . I have just read about the young fella who died while carp fishing.Still tight lines i will check now and again to here how you go.
willie
ps i think ross is out fishing.

R

Ross Turner

HI lads decided on a shimano stradic 12`6" surf rod 4/8oz(which im swapping a shimano technium carp rod for).As for the reel i think im going to go with a mastrline project gtx7000 as i`ve been told they are good reliable work horses for sea fishing.
The only problem is should i fill it up with 15lb or 20lb line as will be using a shockleader of 60lb.Willie yes have been fishing for coarse fish caught roach & skimmers but a very quiet day
Ross

D

Dave O'L

I know what you mean Willie. Fished Loe Bar where it doesn't pay to be too close to the waters edge, seeing as it's shingle etc.
I remember when younger that fishermen were lost off a ledge @ 150 ft high. (Was it something like Tubbs Rock?)
If it's at all dodgy I'm thinking of wearing my life jacket?

Ross I'd stick to 15lb as you'd have a shock leader. 20lb does make it a little harder to cast.
If it's rocky but deep, only requiring a lob, I think a lot of people go for 30lb all through.
As for leaders I just use 60lb so I don't have to change when moving from 5 - 6oz leads.

W

willie mckinnon

Hello Guys,
Ross make shure your reel matches your rod ie it rung for fixed spool rather than multiplyer before you buy.
Dave fishing is dangerous all the time better to be as safe as you can all the time may the fish be with you willie.....

R

Ross Turner

The rod is ringed for fixed spool reel,As for rig i`ve got the address of the guy who sells the rigs on ebay.co.uk & is doing me some rigs at a price.
Ross