What age

chub angler

Reaction score
What age would you try and teach your kids to fish my son is 7 and my daughter is 8 do you think they are too young to try and teach them?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Not at all mate ,I started at about five minnow snatching and have done the same with my lad he loves it and has now caught quite a few species ,definatly get them a margin pole ,something that will take a knock or two and watch them go they love it and so will you .Go for it now.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To me children are never to young. I:E the younger the better, as they do pick up things quicker than us.

And IMHO it,s all part of bonding.

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks Gav Ive taken them before and you get some dirty looks from other anglers.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I took my 2 girls last year for the first time, they both caught small fish including Crucians and Roach, but after about 20 minutes of no bites they got a little sidetracked.

I thinkmost kids of almost any age wouldlove it, but it might be worth taking along some crayons and paper aswell /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks Breamer I never thought of taking crayons and paper that is a good idea. What age do you have to start buying them a licence?.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>JIMMY ( P A A S ) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

To me children are never to young. I:E the younger the better</blockquote>

Rather worrying comment Jim?

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

lynda lythgoe

Reaction score
Hi chub angler

They arecertainly not too young.... my daughter began going with her dad for a couple of hours at tea time on warm summer evenings when she was three (wearing a little life jacket in case he took his eye off the ball) and she used to sleep like a top after which was a bonus.

They used to go to a really prolific local water so they could be home in five mins if any `falling in incidents' happened.

I would aim to keep trips quite short to begin with and not when its coldand wet that's the surest way to put them off.

No EA license needed until they are twelve but day tickets or club card is dependent on the fishery you are visiting.

Why should other anglers object they had to learn at some pointand good on you for giving <u>both </u>you kids a go at it. Every time I here a Dad say `Oh no! I don't take her she stays at home with her Mum'I could scream girls make good anglers too.

lynda lythgoe

Reaction score
We got it from a marine chandlersin Liverpool.I don't know where you are but I guess they will be available from somewhere on the internet too.

Any sitethat sells `sailing/boating type stuff should have them.

lynda lythgoe

Reaction score
Don't forget she was only three,and quite a bolshi three year old too!Your twoare at a much more sensible stage so it's probably not necessary to go to those lengths....

....my concern was that her dad would getengrossed and forget she was with him so at least he would notice if she floated through the swim in a bright orange life jacket....

chub angler

Reaction score
you can buy green ones for adults probably kids as well. Plus I fish on the river and can remember having to jump in after my brother in law who cant swim.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chub Angler,

At 7 and 8 your children are easily old enough to start fishing.

My advice would be to get them each a 3 or 4m whip with a simple float set-up and teach them on a venue where they are likely to actually catch something. There is nothing worse than having them being bored as they are not catching.

Linda's idea about some crayons and paper is a good one, if they get bored they can draw pictures of the river/lake etc.

Good luck with them, my own children started when they were 5 years of age, the eldest never took it up, prefering cricket, but the youngestbecame anestablished Carp angler - they are now bith in their 30's.