Is It Possible?

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Hello,

I may not be a frequent poster, but i love all the advice on this forum and am so happy that it will live on.

Now, on to my point, I have started fishing a year ago and am truly addicted. I go fishing frequently with my uncle who is an experienced match angler. I have used his all-purpose pole for silvers and carp a few times and am truly staggered over the advantage it gives you over a float rod and reel, and am looking to purchase one.

However my budget is limited to £150ish. My question is, is it possible to buy a half decent multi purpose pole for that kind of money? By half-decent i mean one that i will be able to use for many years to come for both silvers and small to medium carp and feel happy that it has a good 'feel'. Or am i better off saving for a while, considering im a 15 year old lad, and will be making £20 odd a month.

Obviously i do not know the market very well, and i dont really know how much bang for your buck you get and would appreciate it greatly if you could help me out.

Ben

Ben Jones

Reaction score
I have been looking and came across the Daiwa SR1, anybody have any experience with this pole? and if there are poles for around 150 quid that are any good, i would be thankful if you could let me know the names.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The short answer is that a good LONG pole is likely to cost a fair bit more than £150. A usable 11 metre one might be possible. Bear in mind that most pole fishing is easily within this range- the tendency is to fish too long when it's not necessary.

Have a readof this as it might help: Buying a pole

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Ben

Mark is a bit of a fihsing guru - so his advice will be sound

M

MCMILLIGAN

the middy poles are normally good i got given a middy hotspot best piece of kit i got its got 2 bully boy top 2's whick the maximum elastic is 24 what can be fitted nd they are 11m and only bout 100 quid

Ben Jones

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Wintle wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The short answer is that a good LONG pole is likely to cost a fair bit more than £150. A usable 11 metre one might be possible. Bear in mind that most pole fishing is easily within this range- the tendency is to fish too long when it's not necessary.

Have a readof this as it might help: Buying a pole</blockquote>Thanks Mark, To be honest 11m was the length i was looking at anyway, it seemed ok for what i do. Are there any models in particular that you recommend?

Windy

Reaction score
Look on ebay for one of the original Fox Conspiracy poles being either knocked out as surplus / out of date stock, or (less safe as it may be damaged by use) second hand by someone who has upgraded. It was a brilliant bargain at £150 notes with loads of accessories when first introduced.

Sadly Fox decided to up-price out of your bracket when they revised it, a great shame I think, as it was a perfectly judged beginner's kit. They certainly priced me out.

Ben Jones

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up windy, however if im buying something worth this much money (a lot for a 15 year old /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif) i really want to hold the pole, and see how it 'feels' if that makes sense. However if i ever see one, il take a closer look /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Hey guys i have been looking,

what about the maver genesis 12.5m?

It looks like a nice piece of kit, just over budget, but not much and i can save up for it for a while?

can i get your opinions on it please?

Windy

Reaction score
I have found a brand new original first generation Fox Conspiracy I can put you in touch with at 99.99. 12.5 m from a damn good company.

It has the advantage of being able to cope with not only the carp and carp bagging waters that the SR1 and its like are aimed at, but also has some finesse for the lighter weights of elastic and the silver fish you mentioned in your first post. Easily forgotten in the rush to bag carp after carp, but if you want a genuinely all rounder pole you need the lower end finesse just as much as top end power.

The 2nd gen Fox consp. went in the bagging carp direction, stronger, heavier, another half a metre and lots more grunt, but losing the bottom end finese along the way and adding £50 for the extra carbon etc.

Anyway, what do I know, not a pole fisherman myself, but I thought it was the pole that came closest to your original 'desired attributes' specification from what I've read. Certainly the one I nearly bought myself to try out pole fishing as a beginner, but then they axed it for the Mk. 2 and I lost the impetus and my heart is still with rod, running line and reel and ever was and will be thus.

Good luck whatever you get !

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Yes Windy thats exactly what i want, a truly multi-pupose pole. I know they are probably not as good as dedicated Carp and Match poles, but for me its perfect. Plus my budget limits me some what. However my uncle may be able to get me up to fosters of birmingham as it seems they have quite an extensive range of poles on display and good advise on hand /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

MCMILLIGAN

You really need to try the Poles out first,go to the fishing shop and sit on the tackle box,then pick the pole you want and try it at full length, just to see if your comfortable with it, instead of buying one and not liking it.

And Foster's of Birmingham have a "Pole tunnel" where theres a box at one end and you can try the poles out .

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Yeah thats what i was thinking, im not spending so much money for it to arrive and me think... crap.. dont like it..

M

MCMILLIGAN

You also have to do abit of research about it e.g find reviews on the pole you want.

Then once you have done all this you should love it /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ben Jones

Reaction score
have you heard of the maver genesis? it seems pretty good for the cash?

M

MCMILLIGAN

Heres one, its a shimano xta 1300 these are very good for the money take a look.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wmac.co.uk/images/TechniumXTA.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wmac.co.uk/&usg=__G2CsCfosITiWefLrDfo6t7QJIFA=&h=532&w=800&sz=22&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=HcD2SNduvFKBtM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshimano%2Bxta%2Bpole%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DVXE_enGB306GB306%26sa%3DN

<a href='http://javascript[img' target='_blank'>/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]opupWindow('http://www.wmac.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1559&zenid=eaefe3d932e217f3f9e0e9461205c076')]
</a><!--eof Main Product Image--><!--bof Product Name-->Shimano Technium XTA 13m Pole<!--eof Product Name--><!--bof Product Price block -->£229.99<!--eof Product Price block --><!--bof free ship icon --><!--eof free ship icon --><!--bof Product description -->The Technium XTA is the 3rd generation of this ever-popular pole, and takes full advantage of the latest materials and manufacturing techniques. Made of XT40 in combination with Tcurve carbon, it now comes at a 13-metre length as standard but incorporates such tried-and-tested features as Ultra Sound Sanding, Reinforced Joint System and Shimano Alignment. Elastic rating 20, RRP £289.00. Weighs 1055g

Ben Jones

Reaction score
ok cool, what i think i will do is make a mental note of promising ones and if i go to fosters try them out and see which one i like the most. thanks for that mate /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ben Jones

Reaction score
thing is about the technium, its a carp pole, and really i need more of an all rounder piece of kit /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

M

MCMILLIGAN

well its comes with anoth kit i doubt you will get an allrounder for less than 300