Winter fishing

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Another point which is often stated, on here and in books by so called experts which I don't agree with.

The general statement goes along the lines of " During the winter months river fish will be easier to catch and stillwater ones because they have to constantly fight the current"

I disagree with this statement for a number of reasons...

I've foundit more difficult to get bites during the winter months on both rivers and still waters during the winter.......

I don't agree that river fish are always fighhting the current. The rivers I fish vary in width, depth and don't flow in a straight line. For that reason there is always some slack water. Creases due to bends or side streams entering, obstructions such as rocks ect, or depressions in the river bed. I think the fishcan 'hold station' with less effort than people realise.

Also, I've given thought to the fact that if still water fish need to feed, then they have to move to search out food, where as a fish holding up in a river bed depression uses little energy waiting for food to pass by. This would sugggest still water fish would be more hungry and there for easier to catch..........

Is there an answer?

Locally, rivers do seem a better bet of a days sport during the winter. I think though, this is down tothe fact that most lakes near me are stocked with carp, tench, rudd ect....whilst the rivers are more natural with stocks of roach, chub, pike, perch, dace,trout ect. Which still feed well in colder conditions.

Discuss.............

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have had some good bags of roach, skimmers and perch after breaking the ice on some small still waters. I can understand the statement that river fish have to go against the current, therefore use more energy and so are more likely to feed. Problem is that the aquatic insect life in rivers will also be hold up in winter hence, less food for the fish. If the fish are stationary, then no food will coming to them. Better for the fish to grub about perhaps?

My theory on river fishing in winter is, rivers don't freeze over so you can carry on fishing with that chance of catching.

Red Army

Reaction score
They don't freeze yes but are flooded at the moment /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Wobbly Face (As Per Ed) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

My theory on river fishing in winter is, rivers don't freeze over so you can carry on fishing with that chance of catching.</blockquote>
Thats as good a reason as any!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mark.....My wife and I walked a stretch of the Thames yesterday from Hurley village just to check out fishing conditions for me and were we could get along the flooded bank it was sad to see the river in spate and going by at some speed!

I had almost justified my lack of enthusiasm over the last few weeks to get out on the bank whenI spotted a couple of anglers fishing the main river in a slack at the end of one of the many islands.They hadn't caught much but do you know what-they were really enjoying themselves,sitting chatting about 10ft apart and thats what its all about.

Yes, catching is great but just to be out is so much better!!

I need to get off my butt!!

keora

Reaction score
I've generally found that in winter I catch less fish from stillwaters than from rivers. I know of only a few places where winter still water fishing is reliable.Since it would involve a long journey, I'd rather fish somewhere closer to home, so I go to a river.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Is there an answer?"

I really don't think that there is any one answer to fit all situations Mark.

That said, I would tend to disagree with the statement as you do.

I know of stillwaters in my area that are 'easy' in the winter as well as some that are 'rock hard', depending on the species in the venue.

On the other hand I know of some quite easy stretches of my local rivers, even in the worst of conditions, and also some sections that are not worth even looking at - based on a number of years experience.

My personal preference is to fish my local rivers in the winter, and there are a few places (Bisterne for example) where you can only fish after October.

Other stretches, like Fordingbridge Rec' is only really fishable in the winter after all the Mums and kids have long since given up paddling there.

Muffin

Reaction score
Well all I can say is the only reason I find rivers any easier in Winter than summer is you dont have so much problem with the razor blades and other small silver fish.

I have found the rivers very difficult this winter but then I'm still learning this river fishing art (and its defiantly an art!), so if this is as easy as it gets then I'm not looking forward to when it gets hard again!

I've not fished a still water for 6 months or so, but last winter found that bream were willing to feed in most conditions (in a deepish lake) as were most other fish.

I guess it depends if you are comparing total weight of catches in winter compared to summer when I think the difference in total weight would be less on a river than on a lake (winter vs summer),so possibly the assumption is that as there is less difference in total weight caught on a river from winter to summer that this makes them easier?

I must say I dont think I agree generically with the argument but it is true in some cases as discussed above.

Hope my rambles make sense!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
So Mark,are you saying that fish may lay in slack water because of the likelyhood that particles of food could be washed there and not necessarily because it is easier to hold station withoutexpending lots of energy??

I wonder how true is the(seemingly)general belief that if we fish slacks,eddies and the like in winter conditions of high water or flooding,more fish(or the chance of one!)will result.Do we really catch more in these areas or is it just more comfortable for us......

Further,I have also wondered just how much fish move around in winter actually looking for food.Do we choose a swim because we like the look of it or because we think fish might just be holed up there.Do we cast out,settle back to wait for a bite and a fish actually moves into the swim attracted by your bait or was it already insitu waitning for bits to wash through?

I am often recommended certain swims"thats a bloody good swim if you want to catch"but when I ask why its a good swim invariably I'm told its because one can cast easier/no snags/its deepetc etc but rarely beacuse they know what type of bottom,variation in depths,drop offs,channels etc etc.

Certainly I'm no clever clogs of a fisherman but I do wonder if we have convinced ourselves that rules apply to fishing,by word of mouth etc,instead of trying to take a fresh look at what is below the surface rather than whats above it!!

How many times do I hear"I shall wait for three days of settled weather before I go out fishing".............do the fish know anything about settled weather of three days(I ask myself........!!)