FM Regional ..

E

EC

In the 'New Fishingmagic ... feedback wanted'threadI suggestedthat an active regional section would enhance the site. GM asked for a separate thread, so here are a few thoughts. I am in no way suggesting that FM becomes regional only.

Assuming that we ‘divide’ the country up intovarious regions e.g. North West, North East etc I think ‘regional pages’ would hearten both new and current contributors in that it would encourage articles, or series’ of articles on subjects and topics which needn’t necessarily be ‘Homepage’ type features.

The regional section could act as a sub level of the homepage currently, whereby certain articles would only appear in that particular ‘regional’ section of the website. For example, a series of articles on the angling clubs in the North West, day ticket fishing in Cheshire or bread punch fishing the Bridgewater Canal, is not necessarily of huge interest to everyone, and probably wouldn’t get much prominence on the site currently,but nonetheless would be very good sources of reference for those visiting Fishingmagic Northwest (for example).

A regional forum would also provide somewhere for members to network locally, organise fish-ins and ask questions specific to their area. This would also give local angling clubs and fishery owners the chance to advertise and provide venue reports on their waters.

A big fish competition run on the site (as mentioned elsewhere) would almost certainly be dominated by certain regions. A competition conducted on a regional basis would encourage far more participation if submissions were judged against fish from their own particular area in the first instance; this format would be far more inclusive and could also be expanded to finally provide a regional database for specimen fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Eddie,

Don't you think though that such a regional sub division would only serve to segregate the FM membership?

Due to time restrictionsI rarely get to travel north of Watford for my fishing, butI do like to read about the exploits of anglers in the north of the Country, as I would hope that those anglers would like to read of ours.

We have regularly had a lot of midlands and northern anglers at the various fish-ins, and I would think that such a segregation might lead to less rather than more interaction.

I do agree though that any big fish competition should be divided into areas, as you rightly say, certain areas could easily dominate otherwise.

E

EC

I don't think so Peter, as those at the initial hub of regional activity will almost certainly be active members now, so it is unlikely that they will become more insular. I see it as more of a way to bring lurkers in from the cold through a regionalsection.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
As long as the interactive parts of the site (like the forum), weren't divided into regional areas too I don't think it would segregate people.

Maybe as part of your registration you could choose to 'register' your area or waters that you fish; it could show this information next to your site and forum profile.

It could encourage people if they know other members are generally local to them.

If you read people's articles, a lot of the time you find out where they fish anyhow so it wouldn't be giving out your address and you could choose to not fill it in if you preferred.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
That is the problem Paul, some people don't fill in the profile, so how do you know where they come from.

Not a bad idea EC

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ed's proposal is an excellent idea in principle but as always it is the administration of it that poses problems. Not great problems if you have an office full of staff where you could allocateone or tworegions to one person to deal with.

Even now, it isn't easy to source prizes, so having to sourcefour prizesforfour regions doesn't make that any better. It isn't easy to source articles for the whole site, so sourcing them for each region, again, doesn't make that any easier. I'm not sure that a potential writer for the site will be more inclined to write for a regional section than he is for the whole site. Very few articles sent to FM are turned down on the basis of the region upon which they're based.

But that will get better as the 'new' FM becomes established under the new ownership (who are much more tuned in to the angling scene), a new full time editor, and settles down. So I am not in any way dismissing Ed's idea, but merely pointing out that there is usually a lot of work/man hours, and cost,behind turning a good idea into a working idea.

The idea has a lot of merit and will certainly be discussed when decisions are made about the path FM will take.

C

Cakey

Ive read it twice and unless Ive missed something I cant see why

I love see whats going on up north and trying to get to fish-ins up there which should be easier for me now with my eldest boy living in Grimsby

how would this work ?

would I only get the southern edition ?

would I be allowed to attend northern fish-ins ?

and how would I know ?

I miss loads on here now because I dont have lots of time to trawl and if this come in to force Id have to trawl 4 sections ?

must admit it sounds poo to me.......................................

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"must admit it sounds poo to me......................................."

Isn't that Corkers region??

E

EC

Graham

I havethought how itmight be able to work without imposing too much on FM staff. Would there be a possibility of voluntary regional sub editors, whom give certain articles the once over before submissionto theboss/editor?

With regards to prizes for a regional big fish competition, I know nowt about the tackle industry, however we could just hand a prize to the overall monthly winner provided catches are judged on their merits regionally as opposed to just size, if that makes sense?

With regards regional articles etc, and/or the lack of.A starting point would be to get a copy of catch reports that angling clubs often provide to their local papers, local match reports etc

Cakey.

how would this work? See it as a 'news in your area' type feature of the site.

would I only get the southern edition ? No, in my mind, regional FM sections would exist as a link from the homepage.

would I be allowed to attend northern fish-ins ? Definitely not, thats NOT (in your case) everyone else from the sarf however........

must admit it sounds poo to me....................................... you're making a judgement yetyou admit you don't undertand how it works?

Muffin

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Jeff Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Good idea, would be nice to know other anglers in our own area.</blockquote>

Who the hell are you? /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

I do think that the suggestion is a good idea, but maybe it just requires a bit more promotion of the 'Venue report' section. Have a look at the ribble thread as this is a great example of what could be aceived.

Any section is only gonna be as good as the data or input received, but I do think some regional area on the forum could be a good bet as threads on such a subject get slightly lost in all the other threads around them.

Some people also are reluctant to post local information etc as they feel it will harm their fishing prospects, such as the location of the 25lb Barbel I caught at the weekend! /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Maybe just an extra section in the forum main headings where people can debate and add information regarding their local area? There is already the venue report area that does not seam to get many posts, so does this suggest that it could also be the case for any local sections set up?

I've manged to meet 5 (local) fisher friends and thats been done without a local section so it is possible.

Simon

Deanos

Reaction score
Oh DO STOP MOANING about how busy you are again Granville!...my mother is 73 and still has a coal round AND lumbago!

The only time she moans is on her day off when I get her to carry my fishing tackle a couple of miles across country....she can be very selfish that way.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Cakey,

We must have told you a hundred times:

Corker is Pooh . . . . . . . you are Eeyore!

So,that would make Ron 'kanga' I suppose these days?

Specihunter

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Muffin wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Jeff Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Good idea, would be nice to know other anglers in our own area.</blockquote>

Who the hell are you? /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

I do think that the suggestion is a good idea, but maybe it just requires a bit more promotion of the 'Venue report' section. Have a look at the ribble thread as this is a great example of what could be aceived.

Any section is only gonna be as good as the data or input received, but I do think some regional area on the forum could be a good bet as threads on such a subject get slightly lost in all the other threads around them.

Some people also are reluctant to post local information etc as they feel it will harm their fishing prospects, such as the location of the 25lb Barbel I caught at the weekend! /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Maybe just an extra section in the forum main headings where people can debate and add information regarding their local area? There is already the venue report area that does not seam to get many posts, so does this suggest that it could also be the case for any local sections set up?

I've manged to meet 5 (local) fisher friends and thats been done without a local section so it is possible.

Simon</blockquote>

he's the calm spiller out of that clan

why not use the anglers mail where to fish guide so we can arrange monthly meet ups eg the barbel society

E

EC

"why not use the anglers mail where to fish guide so we can arrange monthly meet ups "

Jima 'where to fish' guide issomething else we could include, except wecould do it via this site as opposed to the anglers mail.

Specihunter

Reaction score
i meant ec use there regions guide as our regonial guide so we know which area we are in .