What is a specimen fish?

Reaction score
I was having A chat with my mate deanos the other might . when are chat came to talk about fish sizes . We where on about wot does make a fish a speciemen is it half the uk record fish ? Is there some sort of unwritten rule ? about wot makes a fish a speciemen ?

E

EC

It depends on the county in my opinion, I'd be interested to see regional record lists for coarse fishlike what is used in sea angling.

marie marling

Reaction score
Im not sure Brendan but I think it should depend where you catch it from by that i mean a pound roach from one river might be big but its small from another river /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Specimen fish weights have increased in recent years, certainly the last 15-20 years.

When i was younger a 5lb Tench would be considered a specimen to most people, now the figure is closer to8lb+ Tenchbeing a specimen (likethis one---->

I think most fish do still have those magical numbers attached to them tho, whether it be a 2lb Roach or a 10lb Barbel, even perhaps a 20lb Carp.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It's all relative to the water you are fishing

A 14oz roach from a water where the largest roach is 1lb is a specimen

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

As Ed says, specimen fish can vary in size based on what your water is capable of producing.

But one thing I think we should insist on is that a "specimen" fish should be in perfect condition, and not look like a "raddled old tart".*

Consider this: Is an obese ugly old slapper a perfect specimen of humanity?

*Walkerism

N

Nobby C (ACA)

I'm a raddled tart Ron, i strongly suspect you might fulfil the full criteria. Are you in Oz now?

As for the question, a specimen is about 50% of the record weight (D.C Tennents " Weights & Records for coarse anglers" , published by Trowll Walkers of Pengryn, Anglsea.)

C

Cakey

whatever I catch is a specimen in my eyes..........................................

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Consider this: Is an obese ugly old slapper a perfect specimen of humanity?</blockquote>
er...Mr Derek Deanos would say, "YES, YES, YES". Especially if she was also the finest Donkey Pie Cook in the North of England.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
But does it have to be a PB ? I have caught some great fish which are smaller than my biggest. I once caught a good looking common with a great colour to it in winter on a single grain of sweetcorn under a float with a size 14 hook. Ok it was just over 20 lb which was nice but it isnt my biggest. And Ive caught some cracking Perch in the middle of winter after breaking the ice, such fantastic couours but they wernt my biggest.

I think a specimen is any fish you want it to be. Could be a memorable one, or could be one that you have been hoping to catch for a long time, or at Matt says one that you was chuffed to bits with.

Cakey is chuffed to catch anything and therefore all fish to him are specimen

Keith M

Reaction score
I also class a 'Specimen' as being a fishthats abovethe average size fora particularwater and as Matt rightly said: "a fish that I was chuffed to bits with when I caught it. A PB for example"

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

It's afish that is big enough to put abig smile on your face when you catch it

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I like a specimen fish to be pristine, not a mark on fin or scale, and where the fish has a reputation for fighting, have fought very hard indeed.

The prettiest fish I have caught have been brown trout, tigerfish, rudd and roach.

Such speciemens often preclude the biggest fish. Some of the biggest fish I have caught in my life have looked quite frankly, quite horrid. My biggest carp, a fish if some 25 kg, was absolutely awful, and it stank!

C

Cakey

so if a fish dont make specimen status what is it .....a nonspecimen ?

C

Cakey

I know lets call them fis because they dont quite make it /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif