IGFA

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I seek a little bit of help.

I am embroiled in a thread with another website (not based in the UK), on the merits or otherwise of line class fishing. To put you in the picture, IGFA (International Game Fishing Association), is an organisation that records catures of both saltwater and freshwater fish on various line strengths. They actually believe that using light tackle to catch big hard fighting fish where the strength of the tackle could result in the fish breaking free, is "sporting".

But what do you think?

I get the impression that IGFA's influence was removed from UK angling in both fresh and salt water years ago.

chub angler

Reaction score
Ron I think fish having to tow tackle round until they are caught again or the hook rots is cruel

Muffin

Reaction score
Its sporting for the angler, as he feels that he's beaten the fish fair and square. However its not sporting on the fish as Chub mentions to be left with the terminal tackle.

Surely it depends on the meaning of the word sporting, and its a purely biased argument as fish cant speak. (apart from those cute little noises chub make!) -oh god its the feremones in me coming out again..........

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I believe Ernest Hemmingway played a major role in that particular organisation. Originally to serve the big game fraternity? Any group who believes there is any merit in fishing for ''any species'' with inadequate tackle have not got the sports best interests at heart. I for one do not accept their rhetoric, nor the principles on which the organisation is based on. It's a total anathema to me, a crock. Anglers are sporting, not the tackle.