Surface Fishing

P

Phillips Jerry

Of alll forms of fishing, this is by far my favourite,up till last season, i havebeen using conventialcontrollers, like the E.S .P fluted ones ,they gripped moving water better than the rest, but I was not happy with most of the controller being below the surface, it must stick out like a sore thumb to a waryfish . Last season I tried ordinary domestic white candles,pull the wick out and cut into chunks usally about an inch long .This also gave me two ways of presentig my bread bait ,conventuaily on a long trace or by trapping a small swivel in bettween a couple of Drenman grippa,s just below the surface

On more than one ocasation the mullet where attracted to the candle controller,I lost count of how many times they sucked in and spat out my candle controller when they tired of this game they normally take my bait. Two things I can,t get my head around,why are mullet so attracted to a pice of candle when there are plenty of offerings floating past, how do I put a hook in a pice of candle ?

chub angler

Reaction score
warm the wax up till its soft but dont melt it and you could use it like paste make sure you leave the hook point proud.

P

Phillips Jerry

I,m now more convined that fish come to the sur face out of curiousty,and only see free offerings as silhouette,and have to taste the offerings to confirm thats it,s food

chub angler

Reaction score
The bridge in Hereford that Graham was on about on the other thread if you throw a fag butt in the chub will try and eat it I think its true what your saying if they don't grab passing food they have lost it so they grab anything they think is food. Mullet have you seen the the Henry Gilbey film when he is trying to get mullet on bread and they torment him taking the bread and then spitting it out they also keep going for the float like you mentioned.

P

Phillips Jerry

Chub angler when i can,t get a postive responce from a surfacebait i will change to fishing my bait about 1ft below the surface,this usally does the trick.

chub angler

Reaction score
You should try that on the river it might work get a chubber float and bread and fish it at that depth. sometimes it pays to do what others dont do.I had a 5lb chub on that
Photo-0019_e1.jpg