Pod or Banksticks?

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
when i started carp fishing i really wanted a pod. i got an aluminium one and it was great. i was convinced that a pod was the way to go, but then swapped to solar stainless sticks. now, i know you may need a pod on deckedor gravely swims, but apart from that i can see absolutely no reason for a pod.......maybe some will say it looks better though/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gifusually if i come across swims like this i put my rods down the sides, simple, but then again some major tackle tarts wont like this......i am a bit of a tackle tart but this doesnt bother me.

since i have been using banksticks i have instantly noticed that they are massively more usefull and useable than a pod. some advantages;

cheaper, can leave alarms and bobbins on, no need to set up and pack down a pod you just take them out set up and push them in, rods can be moved into different swims and positions (very handy!) and you dont need to align alarms and indicators on buzzer bars which is a pain (although some, like foxhave adjusting devices am i right?).

i expect most carpers will go for a flash pod, but for practicality i would definately reccomend sticks.

opinions please!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

pod for 3 rods sticks for the snides/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Im_still_waiting_!.jpg

like this....................

GertR

Reaction score
Good question Clive

I am selling my pod Here in SA and will be there in 3 weeks.

Will be good to see the replies here.

I can imagine that banksticks could maybe be more versatile but being a tacle tart i like pods? Think i'm confused on what to buy there? /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Sticks!!!

I've got just one problem.I have walked pasta few good looking pegs due to the ground materials, how can I overcome the problem of gravel, bricks, concrete etc? Has anyone got any useful tips?

Cheers peeps

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Trev, have you tried sleeping whilst holding something long? It's not as easy as it sounds.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I use both and am not worried about either style of rod support systems both have their advantages and disadvantages just get the right one out for the situation you are facing.
IMG_3295.JPG

Solar banksticks doing the business
IMG_3431.JPG

Solar world wide with full on bling .

Each to there own all I would say is where ever you are trying to fish try and get the rod pointing strait towards the lead. This way anyline movment will be transfered to the bobbin and alarm starit away rather than to the tip of the rod first and then the bobbin.

Dont allow fashion to blinker your decision on what to use use the best tackle for the situation you find your self in.

Tight Lines

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
first you need to have something long/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Fortunately im blessed with an excellent tongue so I kinda make up for it lol

I used to put my front bank sticks into my groundbait bucket and rest the butt of the rod on a bag, its ok at the start of a long session but difficult towards the end, until i hit on the idea of reversing the bag and bucket. Front of the rods going over the bag and the butts resting on the rim of the bucket.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
with concrete, decked and gravelly swims?...........gravel ive always been able to ram sticks in, stainless will blitz most ground, decked swims put them down the sides (the decking has to end somewhere) or lay them on the floor if your near them during the day, same goes for concrete........but like i said pod may be nessacary for these circumstances.

Ian, your right about usingthe twooptions of rod supportaccording to the situations you are going to encounter, but i find that if i turn up ANYWHERE i will be able to use sticks as they will be better (i can move 'em about a bit if needed), due to their VERSITILITY.......thats the word i was after, cheers GertR.

well anyway, i often have a walk round and a "stalk" when fishing and may want a single alarm in a "jungle" swim so i can be on a run in seconds, but sit right back, so overall sticks suit my personal fishing approach.

cheers all! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nick Lynch...............I do so every night...or so my wife tells me!!

............I take both.........a very light pod and sticks.......but as someone else said holding the rod has always done for me.............keeps me honest and stops me losing consentration!!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Gemson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Each to there own all I would say is where ever you are trying to fish try and get the rod pointing strait towards the lead. This way anyline movment will be transfered to the bobbin and alarm starit away rather than to the tip of the rod first and then the bobbin.</blockquote>

I've often wondered about this with pods.

If you've got 3 rods on a pod and you want each of them pointed at the attached lead then they will all end up being cast along the same line which can't be making the most of the water in front of you.

Banksticks for me but then I never fish anywhere with solid banks.

C

Cakey

Paul when you buy a pair of buzz bars the front ones are wider than the rears

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Each to their own indeed, but I carry both a pod and bank sticks because you never quite know what the ground conditions will be, or what lines you will be fishing.

A good few years ago we used to use a piece of canvas on the ground under the early pods to avoid dirt and grit getting splashed upwards when it rained.

Does anyone still use this?