borehamwood area

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I have been invited down to stay in Borehamwood near Elstree for a few days in Mid March. I am taking my fishing kit. If anyone knows any nice places to fish nearby then let me know please. I dont mind what sort of venues they are I just need a guide in the right direction regarding locations etc.

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
Aldenham Resevoir in Elstree off Watford Road, (A411) springs to mind .

Keith M

Reaction score
Aldenham Reservoir has some class Perch in it which can be caught off the dam wall. there are also some fair sized Carp and Pike and Bream. I haven't fished it for many years but it's outflow runs into our clubsprivate estate lake.

If you get time to do a bit of a recce theres a free stretch of the Colne which passes under the A41 on the way to Watford which has someexcellent Chub in it.

10 miles away from Borehamwood at Welwyn Garden City (close to Hatfield) there is a good fishery which has a lake and small stretch of the upper river lea. the lake is well known for it's Carp population plus large Bream and Roach you can get day tickets there, and there is a cafe, toilets etc.

Another place you could go to is the Grand Union Canal in Watford. If you follow the A41 until it turns right towards Kings Langley, but turn left at the roundaboutinstead there is a short footpath down to the famous 'Lady Capels Wides' Fishery a couple of hudredyards along on the right. this isa good section of the canal which has some large Chub, Perch, BreamRoach plus some nice Carp.

anyway good luck and tight lines.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
thanks Keith /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif I knew if I asked I would get some great help.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sorry guys but i think you will find Aldenham a bit of a let down now.

Don't get me wrong, the fishing is good, but you can only fish a very small part now.

The stages on the dam wall have all gone, no fishing there, No more boats, the fishing has gone there. The bank by the pub, no fishing there. So you only have the small section near the hut left to fish.

I would strongly take Keith's advice and fish Stanborough lakes at Welwyn garden City.

I know this is fishing very well at the moment, and you have the river lea on the same ticket.

The lake has Carp to 30lb plus, with plenty of double figure fish as back up, Bream, Pike, Roach, perch etc etc.

Normal carp tactics for the carp, Pole or cage feeder for the rest. Baits, well just about anything you like, by the way, if you should catch a Zander you a asked to kill it, but if there's no one to ask you to kill it, then do as the locals do and return it, the Zeds go to 14lb plus.

Good luck, tickets on the bank about £4.00 per day, you can use two rods but not sure if you have to pay extra.

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I've been told there is no spinning livebait or deadbaits allowed on Stanborough Lake, any idea how do they catch all those pike and zeds?

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
Thanks Ray ,wanted to go there for years but someone told me there is no lures live/deadbaits policy, not much point of going zander fishing (unless they feed on pellets/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The council (from whom the lake is rented) won't permit the use of treble hooks there - you might be ok with spinnerbaits, but check with the bailiffs first!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Spoke to a few who fish there most weeks. You can use dead baits, No Livebaits.

No treble hooks, but those that fish deadbaits use large single hooks. If you want to lure fish, ask when buying your ticket, it depends who is going round, some let you lure fish, some don't.