Base Mix?

C

Craig w

Im going to have a go at making my own boilies from scratch, can anyone give me the ingredients for a base mix to start off from ( % of fishmeal/seed/semolina/ etc)
many thanks

A

andrew jackson

Craig got to your local animal feed merchant and buy a sack of calf milk. Substitute this for the semo in the recipies you have found, and you will have a far superior bait. The only down side is you have to buy a 25k sack, but it is suprising how quick you can go through it.

R

Roto Fryer

substitute semo for milk powder? i would not agree with you on that one andy

A

andrew jackson

You consider Semo a superior binder than calf milk?

C

Craig w

is that all the semo & the calf milk do? bind it? or does one have an advantage over the other?

A

andrew jackson

The Semo binds but has virtualy no nutritional worth. The Calf milk also binds, but at the same time adds to the nutritional value of the bait. I cant understand why roto would not agree, as it is pretty well accepted that semo is a poor additive. To be honest I cant wait to hear what he has to say on the subject.

C

Craig w

Myself and 2 mates are intending a long regular baiting campain with these baits im going to make on our local water, would i be better off using the Calf milk instead of the Semo as this will be seen as a food buy the fish rather than just a different flavour? or will they pick it up anyway if theres enough of it going in regular?

R

Roto Fryer

i use of 15% of each in my bait. andy knows where i got my advice from and ill leave him to argue the finer pionts with mr b

A

andrew jackson

To be honest I cant understand Mr B recomending semo. I will talk to him about this, because it raises questions about my understanding of bait. I dont have any in my baits and they work very well.

R

Roto Fryer

if it works m8 stick with it.
but remember we are talking about one particular bait here and not a generalisation

C

Cakey

Buy a tried and tested base mix all the work and all the thinking has been done for you.

A

andrew jackson

Cakey why spend four times as much for an inferior product. The bait companies cant produce a economicaly viable bait, that even comes close to mine for nutritional value. Remember things like budgets and profit margins are part of their thought process. A highly nutritious bait applied properly will out fish any of the comercial mixes.

C

Cakey

You can play around all you like ,you will never ever match DT Baits cold water mix so why try.

A

andrew jackson

Cakey, please do me a favour ;) Besides I dont play around with bait, I perfect a bait and then run with it. The thing the bait companys dont want you to know, is for them to produce a bait that is comercialy viable it has to cost them very little. I wouldnt want to match any comercial mix, why make my bait inferior?