how can i catch big bream

Paul Salters

Reaction score
can any one tell me how to set up ,rigs, to catch big bream on the trent, please/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifim more used to barbel and pike many thanke Paul

preston96

Reaction score
Dont know if the Trent lads will agree with me Paul......and i'm no Trent angler, but on the Severn a move from barbel rigs to big bream rigs is not a huge move......move to a large groundbaited feeder ( perhaps vitalinand sweetcorn based?)and cocktail baits such as corn, worm, maggots and even mini boilies.

Basically sweeten it up and fish where the bream live......if you can efficentlyintroduce fast sinking balls of bait do so........a shoal of big bream can't half get through it and will move on if you can't hold them.

If you have to rely on feeder to get the bait in be ready to cast lots!!

Like i said........thats the Severn, it's also how i personally would go in on any big river that holds shoals of big grazers.

Paul Salters

Reaction score
thanks for your advise i will give it a try, what size hook and link, 16 hook 6lb line? i know were the bream usually are. so thats a starting point ill let you know how i get on, thanks Paul from Paul

slime monster

Reaction score
I have fished the Trent for bream Paul ,Pauls advice is sound my choice of hookbait would be worm cocktail ,you say you know the location of the bream that helps but don't give up if they make you wait it can be famine or feast ,as an ex match angler i know you can not afford to bebe smug bagging on silvers if a good rod is sitting it out for bream the last hour of five can put a lot of weight in the net if they settle .

liquid molasses or brassim ..spelt wrong i'm sure added to groundbait water has brought me results

14 wide gape hook kamasan b611 for me

preston96

Reaction score
Hook size? for cocktail baits i would go 12 to hi tech 5lb hooklinks......by hi tech i mean a modern line noyt an old faishioned rope lol

Paul Salters

Reaction score
thanks again you guys, i can not wait, i found a good web site, improve your course fishing, fantastic, site, showed how to chop worms, etc, so I'm well armed, I'm off Thurs, or Friday weather permitting, so ill keep you informed, regards Paul