cray fish avoidance

DUNK

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am fishing in france in the marne valley at a lake called JUVIGNY for the last week of Mayand there are quite a few cray fish present in the lake. I was just wondering if there were any mixes that you have or if you knew any mix ingredients that the crays are less attracted to as I have heard Danny Fairbrass suggest that the crays don't like a more vegetable based bait strategy. Less boilies and fishy, meaty attractors and a more particle based attack seeming more effective. Any suggestions.

Thanks, Dunc.

F

Frothey

mistral rosehips tend to avoid them.... though its good to get the crays feeding, the carp feed on them......

Nathan

Reaction score
I've heard the Pineapple Crush boilies from Quest are quite good at avoiding Crayfish

F

Frothey

use them as hookbaits but feed "normal" baits. the crays chomping on them will release all those lovely attractors.....

DUNK

Reaction score
sounds like a plan is hatching. cheers gents

gordon arnold

Reaction score
one of the lakes i fished in hertfordshire was swamped with cray fish so i tried feeding a couple of oil fishy bolies up my line above my main tackle and summit frutti on the hook end it worked for me for a while as the crays was attacking the fishy baits but also i was getting runs from carp picking it up to instead of hook bait too but i was still catching despite the confussed carp taking the wrong bait

gordon arnold

Reaction score
or just catch cray for a few hours sqush erm up for all there fluids to be leeking out and stick the cray on ur hair rig as thats what the carp are feeding on

DUNK

Reaction score
Why have none of the bait companies released a crushed cray boilie or paste. surely this would be a belter.

gordon arnold

Reaction score
theres a bait for u to make dunk crayfish and tartar sauce sounds like a tasty bait

F

Frothey

perfection baits did, but it's against EA regulations as you are you are effectively introducing crayfish into waters!

DUNK

Reaction score
I am now in conversation with a bait company regarding this issue.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>mistral rosehips tend to avoid them.... though its good to get the crays feeding, the carp feed on them......</blockquote>

Another vote for Mistral Rosehip Isotonic The crays cant stand them but fortunatly the carp love them.

http://www.mistralbaits.co.uk/

Talk toAllan the owner or Caroline they will certainly look after you.

Tight Lines

sergioge

Reaction score
Hi mate if you still want to use a bait that the crayfish/crabs like get this stuff called bait armour its basically a big bore shrink tubing you just put your boillie in and hold it over your kettle and it shrinks around the bait this still lets the flavour of the bait out but it stops the crayfish/crabs from eating your boillie,ive used it in france and spain and i swear by the stuff,hope this helps.