carp rods

M

MCMILLIGAN

Whats a decent carp rod for a beginer for around £30-60 also need alarms and reel and ideas ??????

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Trust me when I tell you this McMilligan mate....DONT BUY NEW!!

From my experience, cheap rods are far too soft which means you lose control in situations where you need to steer big lumps away from snags.

For £60 you can get a good secondhand carp rod that has a nice action; you'll increase the enjoyment that you get from playing the fish by 300%. Do your research...if you see aused rod for sale, take a note of the make and model then google it to see how much they are new.You can also search the internet for tacklereviewson the rod you're interested in.

Better still, post a thread on here asking other FM users if they rate the rod...whatever you do, don't rush into buying one..take your time and buy something that you'll enjoy using.

As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to be paying more than 60% of what you can get the rod for on the internet (discounted price) and for that money the rods got to be mint. As an example, I've just bought a Greys rods that can be bought on the internet for £99.....I paid £50 and its mint (well it was until I'd fished with it for 2 or 3 sessions!).

I'd go for a rod of between 2.25lb - 2.5lb test curve for starters.

When you go to luck at the rod take someone with you who is an experienced angler; two heads are better than one.

Don't be afraid to try a cheeky bid; you might be surprised at how much you can get knocked off the price if you've got the front!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Hope this helps/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

marie marling

Reaction score
Get a good second hand rod but have a look around before you buy. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Sogster

Reaction score
That's pretty good advice from Tony. Don't be fooled into thinking you must have the latest and geatest as written in the mags. Watercraft and location catch fish more than tackle, Tony is also right about the test curve you won't generally need above 2.5lb unless you regularly intend to fish enormous leads over 120 yards - in which case a 13 foot rod would be better than a 12 footer.

I wouldn't worry about the slimness and lightness (or lack of) in the blanks either because 99% of the time it will be in the rests.

As for reels have a look at Okuma they get good reviews and are very reasonably priced.

Carpmark

Reaction score
TFG do a rod called an intruder slim and these can be picked up on ebay for around 55 quid new, I bought some from an ebay shop when i bid him down on best offer, Superb rod and a cracking action. Come with a lifetime warranty to. Got these for the little lad, not sure if i can post an ebay link to here so if interested send me a pm

nik saunders

Reaction score
chub outkast, or the snooper, havin said what tony says about 2nd hand i would agree , i got 3 greys rods for £160 , and i know they will last a life time, if you do buy from flee bay then make sure they have 100% feedback as for reels wychwood do some great reels and look the part for cheap money/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

DUNK

Reaction score
A mate of mine uses shimano alivios. They won't cast to the horizon but I have not seen a better value rod.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Mcmilligan,

You have your message box turned off, pm me.

I have just what you are looking for, 2 x fox warriors XT 21/2 tc, 2 X fox alarms MMX might even have a couple of reels.

These are in mint condition,I bought these for my son to start off with, but he has picked it up so well I have upgraded his gear.

aaron martin

Reaction score
I have zebcos cool 3600 rods they have a "reel" soft action tip with a tough lower section and I have two of these and I bought them with a bundle pack from argos for ?100

james lynch 3

Reaction score
Hiya mate just put a nash hooligan xs 2.5tc rod on ebay im after £25 for it let me know il take it off cheers jimmy