Soaks for plastic baits

Nathan

Reaction score
I want to soak a few plastic baits in some kind of flavouring -I was thinking maybe pineapple, tutti fruityor sweetcorn. I just wanted some advice on which types of flavouring to go for. In some of the articles i've read its recommended that you dilute certain flavours or thefish will be turned off your bait rather than finding it more attractive.

Any help or advice you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

chub angler

Reaction score
Marie dips her baits in liquidised sweet corn and catches well.When you get a new packet of artificals let them air for a bit because they can smell plasticy.

Nathan

Reaction score
Is that done just before casting out or are the plastics left in the sweetcorn the night before? Apologies for what might sound like a silly question!

Nathan

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - i'll give it a go next time im out /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Foxy

Reaction score
Try taking your plastic corn, piercing it with a pin or something sharp, put your corn in a plastic pot of flavour / glug and squeeze it a few times with a pair of pliers,that will get a bit more attraction into it.

Dom B

Reaction score
hi Nathan

if you can you should soak it is sweetcorn juice

sergioge

Reaction score
Hi mate try the alien baits fake corn its hollow so all you have to do is peirce the bait dip it in the glug just before you cast out and squeeze it the glug then gets sucked into the peice of fake corn and releases slowly when its in the water try it in the sink you will then see how the glug leaks out,hope this helps,tight lines.

Frothey

Reaction score
what if you want it popped up though?

who's to say the fish aren't attracted to the smell of plastic? lets face it, people have plastic coated leads, shrink tube on the hook, plastic coated hooklengths, rig tubing, tail rubbers, run rings, beads...... and you're worried about the hookbait?

if i want them flavoured, I just leave them in a tub with a couple of drops of flavour.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Flavouring Artificial Baits?

Even when accepting that artificial baits have some advantages over the natural 'original' I do see a certain irony in flavouring a plastic piece of corn with corn steep liquor.

If you need a popped-up bait then the fake corn is excellent, I've caught on it myself, otherwise why not just use the natural bait, albeit 'steeped' to increase the flavour?

issimmo

Reaction score
You should be carefull with glugs coz once on/in the fake piece of corn it's not coming off easily. I still have some plastic corn from last spring that smells very strong S&O.

richiekelly

Reaction score
if the bait soaks flavour up easily it will release it quickly and you are left fishing with a plain bait i think this happens a lot and the fish still keep taking plastic time after time without flavouring,i think that fish feed more by sight with plastic or are attracted to an area by other things such as freebies or spod mixes and as frothy said how do we know they are not attracted by the plastic smell,they dont detect odours the same way that we do and what seems attractive to us may repell them,when fred wilton first came up with boilies he said that if you can smell something individual in a bait there is to much of that ingredient in the bait, i never use flavours and still catch i think flavours catch more anglers than fish

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I have some artificial baits soaking in pineapple flavoured hemp oil, don't know why, it just appealed to me at the time.

Frothey

Reaction score
when fred wilton first came up with boilies he said that if you can smell something individual in a bait there is to much of that ingredient in the bait, i never use flavours and still catch i think flavours catch more anglers than fish

where that falls down is that caseins, carbohydrates, fishmeals, etc all have their own smells - what smells bland to us will scream out to a carp. they don't "smell" in the same way as us.

using hutchie's chocolate malt (for example) is no worse than putting semolina into the bait - even at high levels......

dadondo

Reaction score
i use betalin for my plastic baits just a few drops in a tub and leave till your ready to use works ok for me .