Thoughts on Cold Water Pike

Skoda

Reaction score
Another brilliant article Sean, great pictures, how come you don't look cold? It looks freezing up there. One of my favourite rivers, looks abit like Pool Bank or Arthington, or is it a bit lower down? When I was a lad we used to start the 'trout season', April the 1st, there.

As you mention, it's a lot easier to locate fish in these medium sized rivers, some might say more skillful, more watercraft required than large rivers.

Thanks, reading it has been the next best thing to being there.

Andy

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I must admit I haven't used pollan as pike bait so I can't comment, but if they're anything like whiting there's no middle ground with them.

There are waters where the pike love them and waters where they won't look at them, but nothing in between.

What's your (or anyone who's used pollan) experience with them Sean?

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks Andy - It was downstream of Otley!

I've used pollan a fair bit and they work about as well as sardines. Because the swim bladder is intact(usually) they tend to float so be aware of that if you fish them. I think they look a bit like grayling so I quite often use them on the Wharfe and Aire.

I used to use them on Lomond as there is a native population there and the pike are used to seeing them.

Noel80

Reaction score
Really good article with some superb photos. Put me to shame too as I really struggle in the cold. It's inspiring to see what can be caught.

I just wish this mild spell would end so we can have another cold snap. Er, maybe not eh? /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

I used a small pouting that I caught whilst beach fishing and it floated too. Didn't catch on it but I'm sure they would.

keora

Reaction score
I think Sean's article illustrates the best way of fishing for Middle Wharfe chub - move regularly from swim to swim during a session and don't stay in one for too long, unless you're getting bites.

I use pollan regularly on the Whafe and Ouse and oddly enough I've never had one that floated in the water. They sink to the bottom the same as any other deadbait, although the rate of descent is a bit slower than say sardines.

For me, the frustrating part of winter pike fishing is that often you don't get many takes.And this is made worse when pike just nip the bait and run off with it, so that you don't connect on the strike. There is no easy solution excepttouse smallish baits such as a half sardine or a sprat, and even then this maynot work.

I liked the article and I hope Sean writes many more of them.