Robson Green - what a t*at!

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new Radio Times? Take a look at page 28, which is a feature on Robson Green's new fishing programme, and see what nonsense he has come out with now. I was so incensed at the crap he came out withthat I emailed the Radio Times to protest.What did Green say? Here is the quote: he replies to the question "But some say fish don't feel pain?" with the following ill-informed and irresponsible nonsense:

"Of course it hurts the fish. The notion that they haven't got a nervous system - how do you know? Of course they have. Why do you think it's flapping? Why is it jumping 6 ft out of the water? When fish are distressed they click. It is their last-ditch attempt at screaming. That's why you've got to kill them and eat them."

Yes, this is how Robson Green promotes angling to the great British public...what a t*sser. I have never liked his style of presentation - he is always shouting macho stuff like: "This is a BIG mother!"every time he hooks a fish - he tries to sound like an action hero rather than an angler, and gives a totally false impression of angling to the non-angling public, many of whom must watch the programme simply because it has a "celebrity" presenter.

And there we have the problem - WHY do the TV companies insist on having a "celebrity" to presentangling programmes on TV? Why can't they realise that we have our own celebrities, REAL anglers, not someone who thinks he is angling's answer to Bruce Willis...

Nathan

Reaction score
I still cant believe he got a second series after all the complaints the first series got from 'real' anglers. Who's even watching this? Then again, who's watching Channel 5?!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Then again, who's watching Channel 5?!"

Hey, come on, unlike Robson Green's garbage, in comparison, there are some good programmes on Channel 5.

Neighbours and Home and Away are just two.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This case needs some strong protest from anglers all over the country,it could be very good ammo in the hands of certain groups in this country.I am surprised at the light hearted manner of Mr Marsdens post,with respect I would have expected something more constructive than that ,from him especially.

Nathan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

there are some good programmes on Channel 5.

Neighbours and Home and Away are just two.</blockquote>

I thought more of you Mr Marsden!

Although you probably only watch them for the young ladies /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Seems my sense of humour is lost on some (and what I thought was an obvious condemnation of Green's angling programmes). Ah well, can't win 'em all.
i_dont_know_smiley.gif

And what makes anyone think I haven't protested where it matters? Protesting on here isn't going to do any good is it.

Reaction score
I wasn't lost on me. You tried to suggest that c5 was dead good with excellent programs like Home & Away and Neighbours and stuff, but the funny thing is they are not dead good are they and c5 isn't dead good either. So you were being sarcastic and saying by all accounts RG's program was a load of boll*cks, oops that should read b*ll*cks, really.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"Then again, who's watching Channel 5?!"

Hey, come on, unlike Robson Green's garbage, in comparison, there are some good programmes on Channel 5.

Neighbours and Home and Away are just two.</blockquote>

Sad bugger!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

And Corrie and Emerdale on the other channels .... How many more?

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
At the very least we should ALL be protesting to Radio Times and/or Channel 5 about this appalling misrepresentation of our sport, and making it clear that we will boycott Green's pathetic programme.

Every time there is anything about angling on TV they seem to get it wrong - remember "Boon" where the weigh-in took place in a marquee, with a dead roach being waved about? Or the episode of "The Bill" when someone reeled in a SPRAT - it wasn't meant to be a deadbait, he was supposed to have just caught it from a river in East London...! Or the recent advert where 2 supposed carp anglers are sitting by their rods tearing up pieces of bread and throwing them in the margin? And no-one in an advert or catalogue knows how to hold a fishing rod - they always grip it at the end of the butt, nowhere near the reel...It goes on and on...

They wouldn't make the same mistake with any other popular sport, such as football, so why can't they get it right when it comes to angling?

I don't believe it!!!

Nathan

Reaction score
"Seems my sense of humour is lost on some (and what I thought was an obvious condemnation of Green's angling programmes). Ah well, can't win 'em all." - how very true!

As Graham said no amount of moaning on here will make any difference, in truth i doubt channel 5 even care if people think its a fair representation of angling. Surely the best way to get something off the air is by not watching it? If they're not getting the ratings then I assume it would be pulled. The fact it's got a 2nd series leads me to believesomeone, somewhere, must be watching it.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Hated the first series and expect I'll feel the same about the second one.
Can't for the life of me see how it can be called Extreme Fishing as he has yet to do any extreme fishing - maybe if he was out in the Amazon or fishing remote Himalayan rivers then it would justify the title.

P

Phillips Jerry

Bring back the Golden maggot race proper anglers proper fishing.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
We finally get some fishing on terrestrial T.V and all you do is moan. Fair enough the blokes a prat, but what about all the other interesting people on there, you know, the ones that know what they're doing.Gary, how more extreme can you get, he was fishing for Blue Marlin. My view is they need to put more on t.v and not take what we have,off.

Also, if nobody tunes in, what's the chance of any other fishing programme getting aired./forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Nick,
For me stepping out of your 5 star hotel, being driven down to the quay and then stepping onto a luxury big game boat is hardly my idea of extreme.
Something like the programs with Jeremy Wade (Jungle Hooks) where he fished in the amazon and then went to India for goonch and mahseer, camping by the rivers and spending days getting to places is what I'd call extreme.
I've been out big game fishing ( too be honest dragging lumps of plastic behind a boat all day bored me) and I've just returned from a trip to Nepal that included a 24 hour trip by train, road and raft to get there, and then camping in a place where plenty of tiger and elephant were present, that also involved walks of up to 40 km each day to get to some of the pools i fished. Out of the two I know which I'd class as being the most extreme!

I agree that it is good to have angling on TV, but only when it portrays the sport in a good light.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's the most extreme or the least extreme, the fact is, it's more extreme than the fly fishing he's used to. O.K he sleeps in comfort but the programmes not called EXTREME CAMPING AND FISHING is it. The programme does exactly what it says, if you don't like it don't watch it.

I'll be watching it because i'm intereted in the world of fishing and what other cultures have to offer. He maybe over the top,annoying, and he speaks out of term sometimes,but hey,he's all we've got.

Reaction score
The programmes are bad; but what is worse is that the tripe in the Radio Times will be read by probably far more people than would ever watch a has been actor with a lousy voice having his ego massaged.

I have asked that RT has another angling feature involving responsible folk, like the ATrust, who will represent the true conservationist and caring spirit of our sport.

Well we can all hope...but don't hold your breath....anybody got the words of unchained melody (and a good singing coach)...it may be the only way!!!