Expensive day?s fishing for Halesowen angler

I

Ian Cloke

LINK

Ben Davis, aged 34, of Royal Oak Road, Halesowen, West Midlands was fined a total of 500 GBP today, Friday 20 February 2009, at Welshpool Magistrates Court after being found guilty in his absence of fishing without a rod licence

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
When its a coarse fishery it £125 but as its a game river its £500 and they say there is no diffrence.

If thats the case why do they all not get the £500 fine as it would be more of a deterant.

S

Scott Whatmore

Good, I wish there were a lot more of this sort of story.

No licence = no excuse.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sometimes, a person income is taken into account when calculating the amount of fine.

This guy may well be a good earner and can therefore afford more than a skivvy off the shop floor. Whereas if someone with the vast wealth and assets of Marsbar were to be fined it would be the full £2500, which is why he always makes sure he has a licence.

They know the game, they know they need a licence, they think they can get away with it.

WRONG!

C

Colin North, the one and only

The Magistrates would have had no idea of this guys means, as he did not show up at the hearing. More fool him, especially if he's skint already.

I

Ian Cloke

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Wolfman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Sometimes, a person income is taken into account when calculating the amount of fine.</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

This guy may well be a good earner and can therefore afford more than a skivvy off the shop floor. Whereas if someone with the vast wealth and assets of Marsbar were to be fined it would be the full £2500, which is why he always makes sure he has a licence.

They know the game, they know they need a licence, they think they can get away with it.

WRONG! </blockquote>What difference should a persons income make? If a crime has been commited, the persons should all be dealt with equally, be they rich or poor, otherwise we will end up with a multi-tiered judicial system, wont we?

I'm NOT having a dig Woody, it's just I have never heard of income making a difference in the amount fined?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Well theres no point fining somebody a high amount of money if there is no realistic way that they can pay it back.

Similarily if you fine a wealthy man a small amount of money is he going to neither learn nor be bothered.... a drop in ocean so to speak.

I live very close to where this guy lives, ive not heard anything about this myself.

I also have no idea why he would have to have gone all the way to Welshpool magistrates unless thats the area where the crime took place, because Oldbury magistrates is just up the road from Halesowen, and this may explain why he was absent.

Anyway, its good to see offenders being dealt with, need more of it...

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hmmm........ £500 for the heinous crime of fishing without a licence, and quite right too.

Now please explain to me how that is so much more of a crimethan the two mini cab drivers that were recently convicted in our local court of having no licence and no insurance. Their punishment for these apparently trivial offences was £100 on each count.

The consequences of them crashing and/or seriously injuring their passengers and there being no recompense available are surely far, far greater than the consequences of fishing without a licence (which are.....?)

But not in the eyes of the law, apparently. Oh yes, and both of the drivers were not of English extraction, but I suppose that has no bearing on the matter...........

Reaction score
It`s all down to the magistrate on the day, plus if they have had a bad week or bad hair day, we had a cracker of a " hanging judge " a few years ago , about ten anglers or maybe more , all fined the max of £2500 each and in two cases , for getting caught twice in the same week 2 x £2500 ./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif