Shooting Fish

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This one makes yourealise how lucky we are.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>This one makes yourealise how lucky we are.</blockquote>

Could not agree more Graham.

A 'different' artical but great reading.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Thank fully I no longer have to listen for and count the 'crack and thumps', having been in the same situation as Mick I know exactly what he is writing about.

Fishing to us is a great escape, to others its a means of feeding families and surviving.

Its nice to read that in this world of hurt, there is an escape and a few can find peace and contentment catching fish, even if only for a few hours.

Keep your head down Mick and get back safely.

F

Frothey

Thats a cracking read Mick... if you're still out there, you and your lads stay safe.

Nathan

Reaction score
One of my mates served in Iraq not long ago & also told me stories of some of the monster fish in the rivers near one of saddam's palaces. He's shown me pictures of thing i never thought i'd see! Its nice to hear that even in somewhere like Iraq people can still find a few moments to forget about everything else around them whilst fishing. I have a huge amount of respect for each and every one of those lads. I hope you all get back home to your families safely.

mick cook 2

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. I would also like to thank my long suffering friend and fishing partner, Martin who actually caught the carp. I spent my whole time catching cat fish that squeeked at us when landed. We fished the lake for three years on and off during our regular tours out there. To all those serving and working, Safe Journeys.

S

sash

In a lot of ways one of the best articles I have ever read on FM. Thanks Mick.

M

MarkTheSpark

That is a lovely bit of writing, Mick. Truly excellent. If it doesn't find its way into an anthology of angling writing, then there's no justice.

Alan Horn

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again

We are lucky to have so many terrific articles on FISHINGMagic.

Brilliant, absolutely bloody brilliant!

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I did a bit of fishing in the port at Umm Qasr, just below Basrah. The fishing was brilliant and I lost count of the number of snapper I caught on a bit of breadflake. It was even easier than fishing a comercial pond back home in the UK. Even though the water stank of desiel it was probably better quality than the lakes I normally fish!

Everyone thought I was crazy at first but I soon had an audience and people asking to borrow my rod. Being addicted to fishing it really is a great form of therapy and everything else pales into insignificance, which in hindsight might not hav been too sensible at the time! However, maybe thats why I enjoy my fishing so much.

Basrah Palace had a smallish lake that had a few fish that Saddam Hussein had stocked. i wonder if he liked his fishing too!

Paul Tilly

Reaction score
Just brilliant! Do another one please....

Your first hand tale of life out there, and the honesty of what you do and how you feel about it, I was very moved by!

Thanks for sharing in such an eloquent article that for me made me think about what you guys do, far more than any report on the news, which I think most of us are now immune and desensitized to!

It really brough it home to me, and you story of fishing with the kids of the area, I could relate to, to some extent, having fished in poor countries (where I've expereinced similar (identical)reactions from the kids), but not a war zone!

thank you for writing it,

kind regards and the best of luck,

Paul.

F

Fred Bonney

WOW, just found this, what a great read I was almost there, well you know what I mean. GULP!!/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

Keep well Mick, and let us have some more.Thankyou.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Superb article.

Your description of the heat by the river reminds me of other times spent in other climes.

I always had a desire to fish the Upper Tigris or Euphrates. Maybe one day!

M

MarkTheSpark

The title of the story and thread reminds me - apropos of nothing really - of a prank we played on Graeme Pullen, the fishing writer, when I was on AT.

It was the time that fisheries started breeding triploid trout, which the fish farms and fisheries said had the advantage that they stayed fitter and leapt from the water much more regularly than the regular fish.

So I called Graeme and asked if he wanted some work. He always did. I told him a fishery in the south west was staging a contest combining fly fishing and shooting. In essence, there would be teams consisting of three anglers and three shotgunners. It would be a knockout competition in which two teams would swap their shooting trio, then the anglers' job would be to catch triploid trout.

When the trout jumped, it would be the opposing team's shooters job to blow them to bits, thus limiting the amount of fish landed by the opposing team.

I had him on the hook for about ten minutes...