Black Death on the Irwell

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Has anyone got any more information or have a view on this for Mark?

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have heard for years about the roach fishing in the city centre, never been mind you.

Salford Quays on the Manchester Ship canal is alive with cormorants, and only a mile as the crow flies from the Irwell.

Tragic.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Its not just the Irwell.

Its all over the Greater manchester area and no doubt further afield. There is also goosanders and mink. Both rivers and stillwaters alike. I don't know the full effect of this predation or how widespread it is, but local to me in the Rochdale area some clubs have had to take measures against cormorants and goosanders by putting lines across the waters on stillwaters.

One local laek near me, which is free to fishhad a report of 27 goodanders on it. Locals say there is no small fish left in it. My local club reckon they have lost over 500lb of fish in the last year.

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of them in the Quays and we get lots on the canal at the back of Kelloggs where I work. The old barge cutting at our place is stuffed full of fish where the birds can't get to thembut I never see much activity on the cut any more and even fewer anglers. The Mersey in Urmston where I fished 5 or 6 years ago is the same. It used to be good for 40lb on the stick or feeder but my last two trips were complete blanks. Lots of cormorants though and they do move around a lot.

Kim Gowney

Reaction score
While this is a hot topic and a controversial one at that, I am wondering at what point any balance is going to kick in?

What do I mean?

Well looking back at other attempts to restore balance by culling, is it a sure road to success? I don't know. I would guess that the Cormorants and Sawbills are there as much because of the depradation of their natural coastal resources as the discovery of new food sources in the river systems etc and better management of these coastal systems would probably be of more long term benefit than a cull, just not very likely I suppose given the generally blinkered approach the politcal class have to this sort of thing.

But when is the natural balance going to start to show? I mean you can't have huge roach shoals being devoured by swarms of birds indeffinately, once the Roach are gone surely the birds will fail too as the food source becomes unable to support them?

I am not trying to persuade to any viewpoint here, I just wondered about how the cormorants can continue in numbers without fish to feed on?

mark andrews 3

Reaction score
thanks for your comments boys looks like cormorants are here to stay though.

we are fishing the mersey at the moment and thats got em too i can see it going the same way as the irwel. shame

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Very sad Mark ,I regularly fish near the ship canal and I have seen many of these birds over the last couple of years also ,alot seemed to be heading straight up the canal like a route finder I thought they were going to the canal and quays which seemed to have revived and have never thought of the Irwell getting decimated .Interestingly Ihave fished the tributaries and had found the fishing to be exellent but the coarse fish have never settled really ,rare creatures.

mark andrews 3

Reaction score
the canal and the quays are a lot deeper than the main river i think that offers some form of protection. funny thing though. on the ribble fish are tending to stay in 1 to 2 feet of water and lots of cormorants there too. maybe they cant fish so effectively in shallow water

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention a story in the local paper were ea stated the stocks were taken from a lake by cormorants Crompton lodges .That is in a urbanised area and very busy if they have hammered that then no were is safe .I have to say I was suprised that cormorants were to blame in this instance but it was the ea who said it was .

Paul C

Reaction score
Wobbly is right in my experience. There seems to be a big increase in numbers across the whole area.

In the past they were spooked by humans and the hustle and bustle of busy areas, but they seem to have adapted and are no longer bothered, feeding freely whilst it goes on around them.

One water I know which is fairly small only ever had occasional visits when it was quiet. It now has a family living on the place feeding all winter just 50 yards from anglers. They just don't scare anymore.

If my experience of float fishing the ribble is anything to go by, it's also happened on there. For the previous 4 years the silver fish fishing has been absolutley outstanding. Last year was a total washout. On every trip lately I have seen large numbers of the birds travelling back up the river to nesting sites as the light fades. Far more birds that I've seen in the past. Of course the vast majority who fish are after barbel and bigger sized chub, so for most it's not yet made much difference.

Mike Duddy

Reaction score
Have hardly had any fish out of the city centre all winter.

I usually fish the stretch where Granada have put up a sign saying that its private fishing (even though my source at Salford Town Hall has told me they havent paid the rent for 4 years so no longer have the fishing rights)

Have hd nothing out of the ship canal for a while either, but did very well last summer at Pomona.

mark andrews 3

Reaction score
i think you would have to find somewhere in the whole/ irwel/ quays area , the birds havnt found yet . but it would be difficult

Mike Duddy

Reaction score
I had a go on the feeder at Granada Studios last Saturday and blanked./forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

mark andrews 3

Reaction score
that seems the norm now mike. we switched to the mersey this and last year, tons better shame the seasons about to end. weve had some top results.......................................................................mind you though a few blanks too

but thats what we should love bout fishin