300lb fish

C

Cakey

just watched Ian Welch on BBC news with a 300lb stingray in Thailand

its the biggest rod and line freshwater fish ever caught..............................

moooooooooooooosive

NIGE K

Reaction score
this weeks mail says the fish was estimated between 265kg to350 k which is around 771lbs

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My son was telling me about this, the paper said 700lb, not sure what one, but any way, 300lb or 700lb it's still a bloody big fish.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Come on Ray, get up to date! Ian hasn't been manager of Cemex Angling for about two years, maybe more.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Come on Ray, get up to date! Ian hasn't been manager of Cemex Angling for about two years, maybe more.</blockquote>
I know Graham, but he still fishing them that was the point. He is now with Fox.

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
Fantastic fish and a lovely guy. A great interview on the BBC; a wonderful ambasador for the sport. Cemex lost far more than they realised when he left them. I think he may have been the biggest positive force in angling since **** Walker.

I dare say a few of the white sturgeon anglers would contest the 'biggest fish' claim however /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

someone will have to clear it up

here it is on you tube at 300lb <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb8ZoCI0l-0" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb8ZoCI0l-0" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Geoff,
Have had this debate with a few people, but sturgeon aren't strictly freshwater as they return to the sea - can't remember the scientific name for it off of the top of my head but there is a word that covers fish like this that live in both fresh and salt water, eels would be another one.
Nothing else that really comes close to this, although Bung San Ram is supposed to have an arapaima in excess of 600 lb, and Siamese carp are rumoured to go to huge sizes, certainly in excess of 400 lb, and Mekong catfish also go pretty big - the common theme here being that they all are from Thailand (I know arapaima are native to South America but they don't grow as big in the wild), so not a bad place to go if you want to catch a huge fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"can't remember the scientific name for it off of the top of my head but there is a word that covers fish like this that live in both fresh and salt water"

Euryhaline fish?

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
Well we could get all pedantic about it I s'pose. Oh, go on then...

Going by your criteria salmon and sea-trout are also sea fish. Maybe We don't need a special game fishing license then? I wonder how the EA would view that as a defence?/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

These stingrays can be found 700 miles up the Mekong river, but most of the ones Rick and co at Fishsiam.com are fishing for are coming from tidal reaches. Everyone freely admits they have hardly got a clue about these fish and nobody yet knows if there are resident fish or if some or all migrate - the same applies with white sturgeon. Some fish are known to be resident river fish (tagged fish with repeat captures year in year out from the same swims) and others have been recorded swimming from the Columbia river then up the coast to the Fraser river, and have been caught in both. So I guess like eels, salmon etc. they don't fit into the boxes we want to try to squeeze them in. I guess we're gonna need a bigger box!

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"can't remember the scientific name for it off of the top of my head but there is a word that covers fish like this that live in both fresh and salt water"

Euryhaline fish?</blockquote>

Andronamous.

Geoff

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
His description of hooking and playing the Ray were excellent, and his explanation of it's removal, tagging and then releasing it back to the same stretch for scientific purposes.<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote>
I know Graham, but he still fishing them that was the point. He is now with Fox.</blockquote>

And credit where it's due, he did manage to mention Fox rods /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Andronamous - fish that ascend from the sea for breeding.

Euryhaline fish - fish that are able to live in a wide range of salinity levels from fresh to sea.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Thanks for that, that was the name i was trying to think of.

As far as licences go, your rod licence covers a particular type of fish i.e coarse and non-migratory trout or salmon, and if you are fishing without the correct licence you could be prosecuted regardless of whether or not the fish is classed as a freshwater fish or not.

I believe that some of the Fraser river sturgeon are unable to get back to sea - much like eels in some waters in this country - but technically they still aren't classed as freshwater fish.
From what I've been told though, the stingray that they catch in the rivers around Bangkok are a different species to those that are found in the sea.

You could argue this either way, as i know people who've caught tarpon miles up a river in freshwater.

It is avery impressive fish and would love to see one in the flesh, preferably attached to the end of my line!

B

Bully

Cakey - that was last year I think you will find. I heard him this morning on TV say 300 and something Kgs.

......he also got a great plug in for Nash!!