Sad News

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Some of the older anglers from the Yorkshire area might remember Bill Bartles - he wrote a few angling books and did a regular piece in one of the local papers I think.

Unfortunately Bill passed away on Wednesday 25/02/09 after a battle against cancer.

His daughter has contacted me to let those of you who knew him know about is passing and the details of his funeral.

The service is to take place on Friday 06 March 2:30pm at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium and and of Bill's old friends and work mates are welcome.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

RIP Bill, sad news indeed.
567094.jpg

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I knew Bill Bartles as one of the best match fishers Sheffield has ever produced. He fished a lot with Barrie Rickards, mainly because he could catch livebaits anywhere.

But Bill was more than just a match angler. He was a competent fly fisherman and spent a great deal of time fishing LadybowerReservoir with other well known Sheffield anglers such as Tag Barnes. Derek Gibson also tells me that Bill was also a very enthusiastic pike lure angler. Derek and Bill often met up on the Lincolnshire drains.

RIP Bill, I feel honored to have known you.

M

MarkTheSpark

I met Bill on many occasions when at AT, including a long busman's holiday on the annual Irish Fish Trek, run by Paul Harris. Bill was a superb man with a float rod, pretty damned good with a leger rod, and always, always a considerate and generous person. Bill was also one of life's innocents. He once told me how, visiting Ladybower in his camper van, he was propositioned by a lady of loose morals. He confessed he was totally confused by the conversation he had with her until he mentioned it to a more worldly angler who set him right.

RIP Bill. I'll dedicate my next pint to your memory

Lord Paul

Reaction score
If no one objects - I'll cut and paste comments on here in to an email and let his daughter know how well liked he was.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
A great loss for angling, especially here in Sheffield. I met Bill a couple of times over the years, he was a font of information, which was always willingly given.

I think M'Lud that you must convey the sympathies of all FM members to his family.

Don

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I didn't know him but knew of him .......

Codolences to his family and friends ,

RIP

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

As above M'Lud, I knew the name but not the man,

My condolances to his family and friends.