bait runner spools how to use ?

nik saunders

Reaction score
just got myself some shimano navi with the bait runner 2 spool system , which im still getting used to/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif ,the only thing i ask is when you get a screamin run do you turn the bait runner spool when still on pod to take the bait runner off or do you strike holding the spool at the same time then turn the bait runner off, sorry if being a bit dumb , only reason i got the reels is lost my job like many people out there, and had to sell my normal baitrunners, and these navi were going cheap,/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gifanyone need a access engineer out there in the south, have been lucky to get another job though but dropped alot of money.cheers

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
OK I find the best way to use the new Shimano Quick front Drag system is as follows

When you get a take lift the rod whilst cupping the spool. This will gradually slow the spool down .

Do not strike hard asthe carp is technically already hooked. As the rod reaches its normal playing angle (just of vertical) take time to feel what the carp is doing and slowing engage the main clutch.

Once the main clutch is fully engaged play the carp mormally as you would do allowing the smooth Shimano clutch, the strecth in the line and the bend of the rod to slow the carps runs down and cushion the all important hook hold.

As the carp near the bank with less line out and therefore far less line strecth losen the clutch of even further to compensate for any last miniute lunges in an effort to further protect the hook hold.

Tight Lines

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers ian, the first couple of times, i forgot i did not have the baitrunner at the back, thaen after that i was turning the baitrunner spool while on the pod, now i will cup the spool when to strike and as you said not to hard ,cheers mate these sort of reels just take a bit of getting used too, thanks again ian,tightlines/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Good luck Nik I am sure you will get on with the new reels it just take a little getting use to thats all.

Tight Lines