Walker?s Pitch II

S

Steve King

Great, fine: any chance of a cheapo paperback edition for us lesser mortals???

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Steve, do not wait for a paperback to be available! buy this one!

You will be buying a slice of Angling History and you will want to keep this book to read again and again.

As someone who read these articles as they appeared in the Angling Times week by week I can assure you that the book will be well worth its cost, even after all these years you will find that R.W. will be able to teach you something and to entertain you and make you think.

The price is a few kilosof modern baits which are no better than the last few kilos that you bought.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've never been a great collector of angling books and though they can enlighten modern anglers about how the likes of R. Walker went about his fishing 4o years or more ago I don't think new anglers will learn much from the book. Yesterdays Icons like RW (there are others) had, and still have their followers but for those that have little or no knowledge of him I don't think the book would have any appeal at all. 40 years is half a lifetime and angling has moved on from those days, I know because I lived and fished through those days as well but I (and you Ron) kept up with things just as RW would have done if he were alive. I, being the cheapskate that I amwill take the cheap route and hire it from the library.

Why are you so obsessed with baseball caps Ron and now makers logos it seems? Do you think RW went so far as to scratch off the makers name on his reels, does it make a person a lesser angler because of the clothing he wears? If you do then I don't think you would have much in common with RW who would in all probability wear one if he were here today if only for its convenience and whatever he was I doubt if he was a fishing snob.

Maggie

Reaction score
I have juststartedreading another ofR.Walkers books called 'The Best of **** Walkers Coarse Fishing' edited by Peter Maskell and published by 'David & Charles' in 1988 which is a selection of 50 articles written by Walker andI amthoroughly enjoying it. I have just sent off for 'Walkers Pitch II' and I look forward very much to reading it, he speaks a lot of sense and in a very readable and enjoyable way.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Wellyours is one opinion Graham, and from the way you say it, it is a rather valueless one.

I don't think you really understand whatI am trying to say.

And certainly Walker would never wear such thing as a baseball cap. I know that because I can prove it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh by the way, good for you Maggie, old **** really WAS our greatest writer.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quote>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)

And certainly Walker would never wear such thing as a baseball cap. I know that because I can prove it.</blockquote>

No you can't because he isn't alive today.

Anyone can change their minds whether on tackle, tactics or clothing.

Back in the 60s, no one would have thought that FG would have worn a baseball cap, but he bl**dy well does! It doesn't make him any less of an angler.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever Ron thinks lies under baseball cap there isn't a better cap made for fishing.

It's comfortable, has a large peak to keep the sun and rain out of your eyes. It doesn't have a brim at the back that makes it uncomfortable to lay your head back on a high-backed fishing chair. It fits any size and comes in a wide variety of colours. You can buy thin or mesh ones for summer and thermal ones for winter.

Can any other headwear measure up toall that?

The only reason I can see for wearing anything else is purely as a fashion statement (or that Walker didn't wear one
smile_smiley.gif
)for nothing else can match the baseball cap for versatility and comfort.

L

Laurie Harper

Pistols at dawn over baseball caps??? Have I missed something?Yes, they are practical, as Graham points out (I have one with fold down ear flaps which are handy in winter). I also rather like my Tilley hat in summer.But we do live in a democracy. If you want to wear one, do. If you don't, don't. OK with you, Ron?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Wear what you like; the only problem is that the medical profession have noticed on ultrasound scans, something rather strange about a number of feotuses in the wombs of pregnant women lately.

Many seem to have baseball caps in-situ on their heads!

Oh and if baseball caps are so wonderful, why is it that the world's leading vendor of hats - James Lock of London, doesn't sell them?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Tommy Cooper's famous fez came from James Lock!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I notice they don't put a price on their hats Ron. If you have to ask you probably can't afford.

"Many seem to have baseball caps in-situ on their heads!"... and a can of lager in one hand.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

They do price their hats John. Click on the hat and see.

I really think that Grahamwould look just the ticket in the cap called "The Bentley" with the earflaps.

He would look just like a shortened version of Foggy!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I've got a Donegal Tweed baseball cap ........

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It's comfortable, has a large peak to keep the sun and rain out of your eyes. It doesn't have a brim at the back that makes it uncomfortable to lay your head back on a high-backed fishing chair. It fits any size and comes in a wide variety of colours. You can buy thin or mesh ones for summer and thermal ones for winter.</blockquote>
You must be a fairly recent convert the Mr Marsden. I notice in your "CHUB FISHING" video you're wearing what appears to be a waterproof peeaked cap!

<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Tommy Cooper's famous fez came from James Lock!</blockquote>

Tommy only wore a Fezz because of his previous job as a conductor on the buses when he went amongst the passengers shouting "FEZZ PLIZZ".

Coat ........ Door!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Wolfman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It's comfortable, has a large peak to keep the sun and rain out of your eyes. It doesn't have a brim at the back that makes it uncomfortable to lay your head back on a high-backed fishing chair. It fits any size and comes in a wide variety of colours. You can buy thin or mesh ones for summer and thermal ones for winter.</blockquote>

You must be a fairly recent convert the Mr Marsden. I notice in your "CHUB FISHING" video you're wearing what appears to be a waterproof peeaked cap!</blockquote>Thats because the sound man said he had to wear it and the microphone was clipped under the peak