Once in a Lifetime Chub

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That is one helluva chub Dave, no wonder you were shaking mate. Look on it as a reward for your poor health recently but still having the will to get out there and catch fish, well done hardly seems to cover it but it will have to do.

That fish is going tomake beating your personal best chub a wee bit difficult I fancy.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Congratulations Dave that is an awesome chub,a lovely write-up too.

Well done mate, that is a thoroughly well deserved fish, hats off to you.

LongMan

Reaction score
WOW, speachless.

After reading all your previous articles and then reading that one!!!!

What a Chub, a lifetimes passion fulfilled.

Even though I dont know you (only what I have read) I shall say thoroughly deserved.

Angling at its absolute best in my opinion, forget all the books and magazine articles.

Hats off to you Dave.

R

Richard Drayson

Absolutely fantastic chub Dave. My God... what a fish!

So glad you're over your ill health and that you're back doing what you love most - catching big big chub.

Leuciscus Colossus.

blankety blank

Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading that Dave. A great story, brilliantly told. It's been a long time since I had that shaking feeling on the river bank, but you brought it all flooding back!

What an awesome fish, and how nice that it is so well deserved. I like your response too, let the fish be and find another challenge on another stretch. I hope you keep catching, and keep posting your exploits on here!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't know you at all Dave butI just felt I wanted to offer my congratulations on a wonderful catch!

From your article its obvious you put in as many hours as possible in the pursuit of big fish and to catch such a monster is due reward for your efforts.I have no idea how oldsuch afish of this size might be but the condition(judging from the pics)is just amazing..............a great fish from a great river......you should be very proud of your success...........

As I have said so many times in the past;why is it not possible for a book to be produced thatrecords this and other catches and the story that goes with them...............??

ps hope the health improves......we need more fish like this!!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Congratulations Dave, that's a very fine Stour Chub - if not a record, it must be pretty damn close! Also a very enjoyable article to read, thanks.

As a part time Stour devotee and lover of chub, I'm very envious of your ability to nip out for a few evenings here and there. I used to do that so much and it really pays dividends. Now I'm faced with a 140 mile round trip but the occasional success makes it all worthwhile. Still looking for my first Avon "6" but there again the Stour is such a magnet.

Again, well done on such a fine chub and thanks for sharing.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Stunning, well done indeed. Most pics of fish on the mat dont look much, this pic is the exception, a monster and a fish of a life time, again, well done Dave.

Yacko

Reaction score
Well done, really pleased that you had this tremendous success.

I hope you are now well enough to get lots of angling in and hopefully back to producing more great articles for FM

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Superb fish, and well deserved Dave !

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Major result Dave a fantastic fish /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
Great stuff mate, the best finishing medicine you can get, bet you felt good when you got home.

D

Dave Slater

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I will leave the fish in peace now and move on to another challenge. I certainly will not fish that stretch again for a while and hope that she enjoys the rest of her life. I was concerned that I may not enjoy catching lesser chub again after catching this one but I went yesterday evening and really enjoyed catching a couple of chub of a more modest size so all is well. I will now be switching to the Avon for the rest of the season. My ambition now is to catch a seven from the Avon one day. It may take a while as my current Avon best is 6lb 7oz, caught in March last year. The one regret I have regarding my 8lb 8oz fish is that my angling hero, Peter Stone, wasn't alive to see the photos of the fish,