Opinion Piece ? Come and Have a Go

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Not surprising that when it comes to fishing websites the vast majority of us prefer to keep our heads below the parapet and just pop up now and then for a spot of sniping. In fact, websites are the ideal place for anglers."

Kevin is right, but it's a sad fact of internet life that it isn't just anglers. You can see the same thing on all websites where posters are not moderated to the point of extinction.

In fact, it's become custom and practice to use a nickname; it's expected of you. On most sites those who use their real names are in the minority.

In some cases there is good reason for not using your real name, ie, when posting from work when you're not supposed to. Generally though, nicknames are used to hide behind, to give power to those who haven't got the balls to say something as themselves, to voice opinions that they haven't otherwise got the guts to publish.

It's whymany high profile anglers keep off angling websites, for they just become targets for those who envy their success and for those who need to vent their anger because they had unhappy childhoods. Who better to take it out on than someone who's made a successful career out of angling?

The consequence of this of course, is that many high profile anglers are there, either lurking, or they themselves are posting under a nickname.

The answer isn't to ban nicknames, for then you would be banning those who are unable to post without one. And most of the cowardly'snipers' would just give themselves a name that just seemed real.

No, nicknames are something we have to live with on forums I'm afraid. It's a shame, but that's how it is.

Stephan

Reaction score
It never crossed my mind when I joined here-with hindsight I guess filling out the form was what I was thinking about

Dr Stephan Burridge??-it`s just steph or stephan/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Kevin

I don't get out fishing as much as I would like, which is why I tend to write a load of b*ll*cks too!

I suggest you keep up your abstinanceotherwise it may have an adverse effect on your writing style.

Alternatively, arrange to go for a few fishing sessions with Mr. Morespiders. You won't catch anything, you won't learn anything, he won't really talk to you and nothing eventful will happen. So it will really be like not going fishing and you should have the makings of another amusing tale.

Keep up the good work.

Remember: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story" - Dave Chilton (allegidly)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
THE MASKED MARVEL wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>You won't catch anything, you won't learn anything, he won't really talk to you and nothing eventful will happen. So it will really be like not going fishing and you should have the makings of another amusing tale.</blockquote>

Hmmm........

Not going fishing at all, maybe virtual fishing is the way forward. You could play it like 'Battleships'.......You against you mate, there could be leagues, championships, and you would never have to set foot outside your front door (And there wouldn't be a closed season....!)

Must get on to MB Gamesquick before someone else nicks the idea!

E

EC

I think that nicknames are fine, especially for those whom post from work or have jobs which are a bit sensitive.

What I'd like to see thoughis a means whereby 'the genuines'incl those with a nickname are afforded 'genuine person' status somehow, that is there for all to see.

However, it'll still not prevent some of the 'names' from lurking and to be honest I don't blame them with some of the weirdo's that turn up.

LongMan

Reaction score
I think someone is trying for a wind up here, similar to the "Extend the closed season" thread./forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Nicknames are not there to hide behind, often they mean something to the poster.

For example, I am 6'5" hence LongMan.

If asked, I think most would give their name, indeed sometimes I put my name in at the end of a post without thinking.

I have nothing to hide.

SCOTT.

Quiver man

Reaction score
When Ifirst joined, I didnt know anybody here from a hole in the ground. I know some now and from my postings some might know me. I might get around to changing it to my real name, but dont feel my opinions should be worth any less because Ihavent put my real name on.

Besides I know sod all about fishing really anyway !/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I don`t think that it matters either way if you use your name or a nickname , you can have a good /bad debate , a laugh / row with fellow members and you will get this mental picture of them in your bonce but if you meet them at some point, i.e. a fish in , they will be in the main , a very pleasant surprise ./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I wrote: "Generally though, nicknames are used to hide behind, to give power to those who haven't got the balls to say something as themselves, to voice opinions that they haven't otherwise got the guts to publish."

'Generally' means that not everyone uses a nickname to hide behind, but it's unfortunate that some do. After a while on a forum you get to know who the snipers are. And it must be said that some of them use their real names.

Nickname or real name, filling in your profile, at least to some extent, certainly helps to ease the suspicions.

C

Cakey

I am amazed at how nice anglers are at a fish-in and totally change on a forum................

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I,m amazed at anglers on this forumwhouse another nickname on other forums.

May-be they have got something to hide, who knows.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
What's in a name? My real name is Gary Lark, my nickname at school was sparrer (the cockney sparrow). My wife calls me Victor as in Meldrew because I tend to moan and get grumpy over injustices.

I have never felt that I am hiding behind the nickname or the keyboard. Forgive me if I am wrong but I got the impression from Kevins' article that he was asking others to "have a go" not at him but at attempting to do what he does so eloquently, put fishing experiences, good and bad, into words for others enjoyment.

Additionally, I can vouch for his ineptitude because he fished the next peg to me at Clattercote. He suited my style, we're both useless /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Grumpy Git wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

Forgive me if I am wrong but I got the impression from Kevins' article that he was asking others to "have a go" not at him but at attempting to do what he does so eloquently, put fishing experiences, good and bad, into words for others enjoyment.</blockquote>

Yes he was asking others to have a go Gary, but he also wrote the paragraph below, which is what I commented on, saying in effect that nicknames encourage sniping. And I do keep trying to make it clear that <u>I don't mean all posters who have a nickname are guilty of sniping
smile_smiley.gif
</u>

"Not surprising that when it comes to fishing websites the vast majority of us prefer to keep our heads below the parapet and just pop up now and then for a spot of sniping. In fact, websites are the ideal place for anglers.

They can quietly sit behind their keyboards, where they can be as invisible and anonymous to others as they want to be (and let's face it, that seems to suit most of them). They can read articles, post comments, have blazing rows and no-one need ever know who they are in real life. You could walk straight past a bloke you had a violent disagreement with last night, and they wouldn't recognise you at all, perfect!"

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I agree with you Graham, some do love to snipe but I also think they are a minority. Generally it seems to me that the vast majority of our little brethren clan join in the discussions only rarely because they feel that they have nothing new or positive to add to the existing conversation. Or like myself on occasions, don't feel they are well informed enough to make comment.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I concur ......

.... 100 times on every thread would become very tedious /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

K

Kevin Perkins

Hi Jeff

Will pm you tomorrow.

Grumpy

Thanks for validating my ineptitude. I might be cr*p, but at least I'm honest about it...!And the main thrust of the article was to try and stir up some activity amongst the apathetic.......!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with nicknames on a forum, but would like their profile filled in with correct name, and a nick name to post on thread.

Kevin writes very well, I will write an artical myself, but its getting the time right now to do it. Just hope this thread will get others to write also.

Deanos

Reaction score
Right then!

WHAT IF??????

A bloke posts who has a multiple personality disorder, and thinks he is seven people, where does that leave him and all his nick names?

And its about time YOU started to use YOUR real name Mr Mansdern, there are a few people on here who know who you REALLY are are.....GORDON!!.