The last week of the season

Rog Hill

Reaction score
How will you spend the last week of the season?

I've managed to get Thursday & Friday off, so it's three solid days on the Dorset Stour at Throop trying for that large chub. Whether I catch or not, three days on the bank sounds great to me.

Rog

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Not sure yet, i may try somewhere out of the norm, might give the Severn a crack for the Barbel, even tho its only down the road (ish)i rarely go near it, or know all that much about it.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Sitting on a beach drinking cold beers!

Viva Espagne!

Seriously, I must try to get my beloved to book our Spring break after the end of the season, this is the third year in a row that i will miss it!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Dunno?

My plans are screwed! It's lashing it down and the river will be over the bank AGAIN!

Piking Ched' res Monday, got the next two Fridays booked off roaching, Sat/Sun and the following Sat' and three weekdays...............but it's gonna be flooded on me river!

Bloody typical !!!

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Not sure about that Steve.Not oto much rain after today by looks of things and you cannot beat a fining down river for good roaching IMHO.Keep the faith.

Few hours on the Avon first light Sunday and quick whip up to the Thames somewhere on Sunday PM.Possibly a few hours on the Severn Monday PM and finishing off on the Thames on the 14th until midnight.

D

Dave Slater

Rog,

Throop is the last place I would like to be on the last couple of days as I expect it will be heaving with people. Having said that it is the best place for a big chub and there are probably more big chub on Throop than the rest of the Stour and the Avon put together. If I have not been doing very well I sometimes have a few sessions on Throop. A few big chub then off somewhere else. It certainly is a great fishery. I will be very surprised if a few sevens are not caught on Throop during the last few days of the season.

I will be on the Avon somewhere for the last week in search of that elusive Avon seven. I will probably try a few different stretches between Burgate and Winkton, a lot of river to go at.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My 'last' weekend of the season will actually be this weekend due to other commitments, so I'll be on the Hampshire Avon, below Salisbury on Saturday, but on the river north of Salisbury on Sunday, but then it will be with a fly rod in hand.

I would agree with Dave though, Throop is really not the palce to be at the end of the season, unless of course you love; not being able to park and overcrowded banks with a 'forest' of rods.

Wherever you will be I wish you 'Tight Lines'

D

Dave Slater

Peter,

If my season hadn't improved so dramatically recently I think I may well have braved the crowds and gone to Throop

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Oh god yeah, the river followers will be back on the banks of my beloved commercials again thrashing the water to a foam until there satisfied there are no fish in the area before moving round to another peg and starting the same process there as well.

You can tell the river anglers because they have minimal kit, they keep moving about and then they go home early because theve caught nowt.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Not me Trev........You can shove yer beloved commercials!

I might be tempted onto a large pit or ressie in search of tench in May, but that will be about it.

You might be right Nigel, I hope so. It's gone darn cold though, forecast -2 tonight.

njb51

Reaction score
See you on Thursday and Friday, Rog! Got my two days booked! Hopefully I will be able to keep them booked! Bloody banks!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

If you go above the Great Weir you will probably not see a soul?

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Dave,

You're certainly right about the numbers, the last few weekends have been very busy. But if you make the effort and are prepared to walk a bit there's usually a quiet spot to be found, or at least a spot that can't get too many rods in.

Anyway, here's to some good weather and a few pb's before the end.

S

Sean Meeghan

River Severn this weekend, then I'll sneak a few sessions on the Yorkshire rivers next week

D

Dave Slater

Nigel,

The stretch above the new weir is Beat 1. You are right in saying not many people fish it. I do and it is a very nice stretch. There are a few huge chub there but the quantity and the average size do not match up to those on the main part, Beat 2. When most people talk about Throop they are talking about Beat 2 and it is, without doubt, the best chub fishery in the country. This is where I sometimes go for a confidence booster if things have not been going well. The quantity and quality of the fish is amazing. I couldn't stay there for too long though as I do not like catching known fish. The lower part is beat 3, some of which is tidal. This is much harder than Beat 2 but, again, holds some very big fish but is nowhere near as productive as Beat 2. As I mentioned I intend to fish the Avon for the rest of the season but if it floods, as it could easily do if we have more rain,it will stay up until the end of season so I may finish up somewhere quiet on the Stour if this happens, as the Stour falls far more quickly.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The Avon has burst its banks as at last night. Nigel seems to be confusing the Great Weir (Royalty) with New Weir (Throop).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've got the Friday off as well and will intend to fish Throop (I owe Roger a netting, weighing and photo session!). /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif But the current weather is a bit threatening, maybe towards the end of next week it could be perfect again!

As Dave says, Beat 2, particularly the top end, is a magnet especially for the chub. I've certainly been part of the crowds and have had some of those big chub.Very enjoyable in relatively short doses but there's plenty of space elsewhere if you're able towalk a bit, have a bit of watercraft about you and can get up early!

Having said that, looking at the weather and the river reports, this weekend might be the best option. I'm out both days, hopefully on the Avon and surrounding area.