Rods

C

Carpe Diem

I've just started out again about 20 years since I last fished as a kid. I'm still using a pretty basic rod - basically just a stick, string and hook. I seem to have had some luck so why what's the need for the flasher bigger rods all the other fishers seem to have? Can someone spell out the real-life benefits please.

A

alan fox

ok mate my advise is to get a diawa or shimano rod you can get some good deals in the fishing mags, inprove your coarse angling is a good one for novises and anglers alike my first rod was from argus i still have it, good luck

C

Chrisx Ess

Don't worry Carpe...the spending bug gets us all in the end - even me;(and I'm well known for being a cheapskate). I do my best to make do and mend. I like to make stuff for myself, when it's worthwhile. If you come up with any good money-saving ideas let us know.

T

Taffy Jones

Cakey...you mentioned Nash tackle as an alternative to Shimano or Diawa. I need a carp rod (or thats what I keep telling meself) and was considering the Nash Outlaw 2.5 or 3.0 t.c. I know its at the lower end of their price range but what do you think ??
Also, what reel in the ?30 - ?50 bracket would you put with it ?

C

Carpe Diem

Thanks for the advice but no one's really answered my main question yet - what are the real world benefits of your recommendations?

R

Roto Fryer

diem there is no need for a flasher bigger rod at all, however, it will make things a little easier with modern equipment. some will argue that this is not so much fun and i myself go to the river with a centerpin and a split cane rod. it just depends how you like to fish

K

Kevan Busby

Carpe Diem, I think it's a case of "horses for courses". Look at the waters you are going to fish and find out what size the carp grow too, ask any carp angler, they are all so easy going and full of local knowledge they are willing to share...NOT! Once you know the average weight of the carp and the conditions of the water i.e clear, weedy, snaggy etc then a trip to the tackle shop or a surf on the net should put you on the right track for the right type of rod for your fishing. As a rough guide, you won't go far wrong with a 12ft 2 1/2lb tc rod. There are a multitute of makes and manufacturers out there so haggle and get it at a price that suits you, don't get caught up in this "brand" thing, make your own mind up.

A

Anthony Coser

Call it a hunch but i do not think you will be able to reach feeding twenty and thirty pound carp on the back of a gravel bar at 100 yds with a stick and some string.

C

Clive Evans

Carpe,
It's quite simple really. Modern materials allow you to extend both your limits and your horizons, thus increasing your abilities and your pleasure, (hopefully). You can still use your stick and string where it suits.

C

Clive Evans

It has just dawned on me.
Carpe Diem - Latin for 'Enjoy the Present'.
No more need be said.

C

Clive Evans

''inflatable carp'' ??
You're not refering to Stuart are you Cakey?
I think he was deflated.....for about thirty seconds anyway.

C

Clive Evans

You mean my potential British Record 6lb roach, caught in a secret carp puddle somewhere in the wilds of Warwickshire whose location I am sworn to safeguard from the screaming hordes who would undoubtedly descend on it in their thousands to the detriment of everything we hold sacred.

(Long, deep, breath. I think I'm getting Wendyitis).

C

Clive Evans

I've never heard one!
What does 'Under Twah, Cat Sank' mean anyway?