Fishing Abroad for the First Time

C

Cakey

nice read and some good advice there Ian

I do like the checklist idea

only thing I didnt like was the "baiting the swim" picture,where the f**k is your life jacket ?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
A useful article there Ian.

I would like to try some sort of fishing abroad but in all honesty the thought of driving on french roads and the worry that the local plod are out to get you,fill me with dread !!!

Perhaps i might try an all inclusive jobbie first and try to get a flavour of things.

C

Cakey

I find French roads easier than here ,never had any bother with plod in 52 trips...........................

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`d be up for a possible well organised trip,say in a mini bus,with a well experienced traveller like your self cakey at the helm,for example.I would be a lot calmer etc....

It wouldn`t be this year though.....absolutely bloomin skint at moment /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Nick - as Cakey said, French roads are great and a pleasure to drive on.

Getting out of Calais or Boulogne is an absolute breeze - really clear signs and easy to follow. Ouisterham/Caen can be a little more stressful but keep calm, realise that you need to travel a little bit in the "wrong" direction if heading South and you'll then pick up the road that takes you towards le mans and on to Tours..and it's all fine. Le Harvre + St. Malo - no problem. Never done Cherbourg so can't comment.

Never been stopped by the gendarmes but they can be out on force on the way in/out of ports so make sure you have got every thing. Lots of the French drape the flouro tabards over the front seat backs - good idea. get all these things from your local Halfords or similar well in advance cos the prices for this gear at a channel port is eye watering.

Do you wear spectacles? Always have a spare pair in the car - in some EU states this essential (Germany) - its not a bad practice anyway.

Had a TomTom with french map last year -absolutely brillliant - the small tracks it took me down to access wine and fishing was brilliant - even if some of them caused a serious threat to suspension .

If you plan to go native as I prefer (and not fish where the first language is English ) learn the the names of the fish in French, learn a few basic phrases like What do you catch?, is the fishing good? and you'll find that the French are really helpful and love to talk, even if you don't understand a word!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Cakey Spotted mate well done you were the firt to spot I was wearing the new Korda life jacket disguised as a fleece. No seriuosly your are totally right and I stand up to be shot at. No excuses. But I am glad you like the article .

If anyone wants the check list or catch list please PM me and i will gladly forward it to you.

Tight Lines all.