1st time

england

Reaction score
ive never done fly fishing,(always beach n boat)ive been invited to fly fish on the 22nd march ,i would like to buy a rod/reel set up just so as i can give it a go,,,not sure what to buy,i have a budget of £120,,im ok for tackle and flies just not sure on rod n reel

england

Reaction score
thank you very much,,,,orderder my first fly rod n reel

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Mark can i ask why you recomended the sonick rods and the greys reel. Why not the greys rods also or the sonick reels.

Just enquiring. The sonik stuff does look good.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Bryan, I would have said sonik rod + sonic reel, but depending on size selection the pair would have crept over the £120 buget (on list prices). With that in mind, the greys GRXi reel came to mind. Slightly cheaper than the Sonik, but still a fine reel for the price.

I doubt they would be a huge difference between the rods, just a personal thing - I prefer the Sonik.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thats fine mark. I must admit i have been hearing a lot of good things about sonik.

I do like my Greys though.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
The Sonik stuff I've had a go with has been very impressive for the price.....

I still like my Hardy Angel though! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Totally diffrent bracket there mate like comparing a mini to a ferrari.

Arent the soniks built on greys blanks.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Yep! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

That aside, if I were to buy another fly rod (considering a lightweight brook type setup at the moment) I would look straight away at the Sonic.

As nice as the Hardy is, it isn't worth the near £700 rrp. Igot mine when I was looking to upgrade from a 'starter' rod to somthing long term. (quite likey a high-end greys). I just happened to be in the shop on the day of a 40% sale on Hardy rods, the savings were huge and I came over all weak. /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have been using a Sonik SK 4 9 1/2 ft weight 6/7 for some time now. It's a delightful rod and equal in many ways to fly rods costing 3 times the price.

By the way, I am not in the pay of Sonik.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ron, you usually extole the virtues of Sage, have you just realised how overpriced they are?.

You never did seem to be able to cast with it anyway, still got that Casting with Lefty video here for you, should make a reasonable caster out of you.

Cant believe a man of your stature is using a bargain basement rod/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

england

Reaction score
thanks for all ur comments,,noticed sage were mentioned,ive been to canada the last 3 years and they r all the rage over there,,talking to fellow brits who go fly fishing in canada they buy all sage gear because its so cheap over there,compared to here

england

Reaction score
just been on phone to brother in law in calgry he is going to bring me a 4 piece sage combo over in april when he comes over for my st georges party,so will compare uk price when its here

england

Reaction score
my 1st fly rod n reel should b here in the morning,so its up the field for casting practice tomorrow evening (if its dark no one can c me cocking it up)just been told im fishing from the bank at bewl waters(24th) got any good bait or other tips 4 me

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sage rods are very very good indeed, make no mistake about that. I have owned several of them in my life.

The only problem with Sage and other high priced American rods is how they can sell a £25.00 blank, £4sworth of cork, £16sworth of nickel silver reel seat, £12s worth of low cost snake rings and 30 minutes of labour for over £600.00!!

But they can!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>This is exciting.

I have just spoken with Dr David Hepworth who tells me that this material is lighter, stronger and dampens in half the time of the best carbon fibre fly rods.

They are setting up to manufacture several hundred rods by March and will have product available for inspection at "Go Fishing".

The aim is of course to make fly rods only, where these unique properties can be fully utilised and appreciated.

The rods will not be cheap, however they will be about half the price of the best rods available.

I am itching to get my hands on one.</blockquote>

What happened to these rods madefrom carrots you were supposed to be field testing Ron ???