Wandle Clean Up

S

Steve King

Today I joined the volunteers of the Wandle Trust and assisted clearing rubbish from the banks and river downstream of the Plough Lane bridge.

It was hard going (particularly as I found out that my waders are leaking!), but a very enjoyable and worthwhile day.

We recovered 1 motorbike, 4 shopping trolleys, 1 ski(???? WTF!), 5 tyres, 4 mattresses, 6 blankets, several jackets, plus thousands of plastic bags and assorted other junk.

If you live in South London (or even not as I am in North London!)have a look at their website and consider joining us for the next clean up.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Good for you Steve.

I would love to see a wilderness area around the Wandle, let's say 30 miles either side of the river for it's full length no building or settlement by humans is allowed. What a marvellous experience it would give Londoners, say 900 square miles of England as it was 5000 years ago.

Something similar could be done in Birmingham or even Sheffield around the River Sheaf.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well done Steve.

I went to our stretch of the Thames only to find that the water had risen again through the week and there was another pile of debris on the lawns inlcuding no fewer tha a further 17 spent disposable lighters.

WHY do some smokers think that a disposable lighter means dispose of it in the nearest freekin river?

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Found a loafer chubbing float and a spare shoe that didn't fit me. /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Your efforts were mentioned on The Wright Stuff this morning, Steve. He said how comendable it was that the volunteers kept doing it and doing it even though no sooner had they cleaned it up, more litter and rubbish were thrown in.

chub angler

Reaction score
sounds like flogging a dead horse but at least they are trying to improve things I know someone who got a wheel barrow shoveled up a load of garden waste and dumped it on their front lawn with a note saying the bank is not a tip take it down the dump.

S

Steve King

The Wandle's water is getting cleaner (apart from the devasting polution incident), but the banks and river bed leave much to be desired in the more urban stretches.

The good thing is that the clean ups are having a gradual effect. Also many of the local community are taking a keen interest in the river; there were quite a few parents with children helping out as well.

Wandle Park has received a grant which will result in the Wandle being freed from its underground pipe and the banks being planted and landscaped.

The future is looking bright for a river that was little more than a sewer when I was a kid!

marie marling

Reaction score
Landscaping the banks and having a clean up to make it look better might put some people off fly tipping/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif.

S

Steve King

The Wandle Trust Home Page now has a report about last Sunday's Clean Up and also has a few photos - I think that is me top left in in the first one! As you can see the haul of rubbish was quite impressive!

chub angler

Reaction score
No respect for the river atall amazing how much junk was in there.

chub angler

Reaction score
Steve cant the Wandle Trust get the local council to put a couple of cameras up. To catch people who are fly tipping in the river. Maybee prosecuting a couple of people might put others off just an idea.Or have a rogues gallery of the worst ones in the local paper- residents news letters.

S

Steve King

To be honest I think fly tipping is only part of the problem - it's the mattress and chair dumpers that are more common - oh, that and(empty!!) safe dumpers!