CANAL CARPING - FISHING THE FAR BANK

Reaction score
My local canal holds many carp - from a few pounds to 20lbs + (that I know of, but who knows what they go up to).

They are often seen and caught off the far bank shelf either on floaters or on the bottom.

If I were to present a rig on the far bank, am I right in thinking that I would need TWO back leads to ensure the line sits low enough in the boat channel to clear boat traffice?

ie a small FLYING back lead to hold the line down near the far shelf plus a heavy captive back lead to hold the line in the boat channel on the near shelf.

Any tips on how to set this up (or alternatives) would be appreciated.

Matt

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
You could use leadcore at the rig end to ensure everything hugs the bottom then use a captive backlead at your side and slide it down so it sits in the central channel.

Use a bolt rig and slacken the line - Bob's your uncle.

Bolt rigson leadcore need to be either semi fixed or a helicopter style set-up to avoid the potential of leaving a fish with several feet of leadcore attached to it.

When I've used leadcore I've used barbless hooks too, just in case; although I've not had a break yet.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Just use a 1/2oz bomb on a snap swivel for your backlead, all these fancy backleads, dont know what the worlds coming to.

drop your backlead in about 4ft out should be 4-5ft deep there on the Bridgy

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Depends on depth Matt.

I would think just one back lead (attatched rod end after casting) fished with rod tips pointing down, main line not too tight, nor too slack, would keep the line out of harms way. Its worked fine for me while Carp fishing on the River Nene with lots of boat traffic.

I always got on fine with a running rig.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Dont know why your worrying Corker, It will be winter next time you go, theres no boat's about then

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Morespiders(ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Dont know why your worrying Corker, It will be winter next time you go, theres no boat's about then</blockquote>

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The wifes looking at having Saturday afternoons off. YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Also, I a can scrape myself out of bed at 0500 on a Sunday morning then that's a good time. I'm not good with mornings though. It's the all night sh*****g that does it.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

How far does a narrow boat sit under water? </blockquote>On the Bridgewater canal - all the way...cos some nutter is going round holing them below the waterline with tungsten shads!!!

<blockquote class=quote>

The wifes looking at having Saturday afternoons off. YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!</blockquote>So you got the Saturday afternoon job you applied for then ? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Matt Corker wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>

How far does a narrow boat sit under water? If I use the iceburg principle then there's loads of boat under there!</blockquote>

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t20325.html

gives you this answer

Take out your string and your tape-measure ...

It could be anything from about 20 inches to over three foot. Most are around 2 ft - 2ft 3"

And wide draft boats go as far as 2ft 6"

Matt -MATT, MATT - WAKE UP!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'm no expert,

ButI thought keels are for sail boats (for stability). I wouldn'texpect to find one on a narrow boat on my local cut?

Reaction score
Narrow boats don't NORMALLY have a keel. But when Poshers is on board the boat needs one for stability because he is 18 feet tall and the wind catches his massive hands.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I have the same trouble Matt. Only I've had the decency to stay on land ........./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Do you wear deep sea diver's boots to avoid being blown away in a strong wind?

I have a friend who has a massive head that is actually flat and shaped like the end of a soup spoon. He has terrible stability problems, but manages to stay put by using the heavy boots. He does however sway about a bit though.

E

EC

Even when using a backleadthere is always the odd Cpn Birdseye who will rev the engine like mad and either plough through the near/far shelf silt and catch your line.

I did ok using a float ledger Matt, I fed sweetcorn and fished meat over the top, I reeled in whenever a boat came and/or fished the near edge 2 or 3 either side from where I was sat.

Morespiders

Reaction score
When i used to fish the wides On the Trent and Mersey, I used to lift my rods high by the butts when a boat come, and let it go under my lines