A good length .

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
When fishing the lift method,what would bethe ideal length of quill to use ???

Would 7 inches be too long ???

Does the length make any difference to bite detection ???

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I used to think, the smaller lengththen less weight needed (to over weight the float),would make the set up more sensitive.

I now realise it's not the case. For me the length of quill would depend onits boyancy. In still conditions, I'd look to use the longest possible that would sink under 1ssg. I'd move up in size from there depending on depth and conditions.

Remember the more boyant the float the more it exaggerates the bite. Don't be put off by large shot near the hook (in giving resistance to the fish) as the weight is offset by the boyancy of the float.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Not sure it would make any difference within reason?

The longer the float then the more shot needed to cock it and tighten down so only a short length of float was showing but then again the principle of the lift method is that the weight of the shot is taken up by the buoyancy of the float on a fish biting.If you hit the bite early as the flot rises then why should the lenght of the float matter?

LongMan

Reaction score
I am certainly no expert on the lift method but I have found the shorter the float I use the twichier the bites can be (not always) and now I often use a crystal insert type waggler of about 7-8" and use one ssg 3" from the hook but I also add heavy metal putty round the shot A, to camouflage it a little and B, to finely balance the sinking of the float.

With the longer float its so much easier to tell a proper lift from small stuff moving the bait/shot around, and as already stated its all about the balance between shot and float. So even if you were (hypotheically) to use a huge float, so long as you had just enough weight to sink it, the method would not alter.

This is the way I would fish the lift method out to around a couple of rod lengths. Also of massive importance is sinking the rod tip and the line between it and the float.

Just my tuppence worth.

Scott.

LongMan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Good advice Scott.</blockquote>

Thanks, I love fishing the lift but its so easy to get it wrong.

The longer float really does save some annoyance from smaller fish, just wait for the float to rise 2or3" and your in.

Great stuff this fishing isn't it? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif