Shock Leaders?

C

Craig w

Im just about to set my rods up with a couple of Shock leaders, At the moment all three have lead core on them.
Can someone tell me if i should be using Shock leaders at the same time as lead core, and if not , why not?
The lead core is the 45lb ESP & the shock leaders are the Tapered kind from 45 to 15lb, my Saftey lead clips pass over the core and the shock so no chance of a snag & being break aways the lead can be dropped.

R

Rob Brownfield

I dont see a problem as long as the lead core is of the same or higher breaking strain than the leader. Would be silly using a 50 pound leader and 25 pound lead core.

S

Stormin' Norman

Craig just swap it for some armour tube or something like, I've got a feeling you will impede your casting ability by having too high a thickness line to far back. Maybe only a slight hinderence to you and about 5% off your full chuck but that could be the difference between catching and not.

M

Malcolm Bason

Personally Craig, I cannot see the point in using a shock leader in such a set up?

The first thing that comes to mind with this, is what bs line are you using? if its less than the shock leader then, if the fish becomes tethered, it has a hell of a lot of line to shed to shed, even though the lead will be lost!

If your mainline is 15lb bs or more - I can't see the need for a shock leader!

Unless, that is, you aim to chuck a 6oz lead 150 yards?

C

Craig w

Ok thanks for the replys. Im going out into a field in the morning to see how i get on with or without the shocks as im now not even sure if i need them, im also going to try some weighted rig tube intsead of the leadcore., i let you know how i get on thanks for the advice.

C

Craig w

its a way....im not to sure as im crap at the distance thing, needed to find out if i realy need them or not, ive been out practice casting in a field with them on and with them off....I cant tell the difference, am i missing something here then?

R

Richard Dunn

Craig, what breaking strain is your main line ? If your using a shock leader then this should enable you to cut down the bs of your main line which will give you the extra distance. However if your fishing a weedy or snaggy water then i woudn't drop it down too low .